Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Made it. Feel like I've been pedaling uphill for quite a while, but made it to page 335!! Worth every minute. Oz, I pray for your safety, wisdom, and success in your adoption and flock development. It is obvious that you have been and will continue to be rewarded for your efforts.

Between you and Bens-Hens you Aussies are quite the story tellers! Thanks for sharing it all.

Life forced me away from my chickens for about 12 years, but one week from tomorrow I will be welcoming a new flock. My daughter will be returning from Japan a few days before that. Happy, happy.

Best of luck on your flight tomorrow and have a sweet reunion!
Thanks for the support. I am glad you persisted.

Enjoy your daughter and your new chickens.

Ben's thread is a great read. I hope to get over to his chicken-dom in the next year but I look forward to meeting him on the chicken mission.

go OZ go load rite up on those eggs mate!
bow.gif
I made it home!

Close to 70 wonderful eggs.

Thanks to y'all that parted with your precious ova! I will hand them off to Bernie with pomp and circumstance.

glad you have joined us
what breed of birds are you looking to get?
4 Australorp pullets I purchased (suppose to be ~14 wks) and then from a generous local BYC member (kaybee123): Golden Laced Cochin pullet and cockerel (~11 wks), an Olive Egger (~9 wks), a legbar (~9wks), 3 EE's (~5wks) and a Salmon Fav whose age escapes me. I've converted a couple of old horse stalls into coop with attached run. Will keep the little ones in a large dog crate inside the coop until they are old enough to all get along. Creating a melting pot in the FL panhandle!

Thanks for the support. I am glad you persisted.

Enjoy your daughter and your new chickens.

Ben's thread is a great read. I hope to get over to his chicken-dom in the next year but I look forward to meeting him on the chicken mission.
Welcome anytime, we are pretty close to the airport here, just holler out.

Plans are coming together for the chicken mission at my end, getting bigger than Ben Hurr, but moving forward.

Quick question (sorry, full of those!).

We decided to go with sand for our chickens' coop. So we went out and bought sand...play sand...and it's dampened.

Then I came online and read that you're supposed to use river sand, and it should be dry.

Whoops!

I did read that the play sand is fine, but couldn't find anybody else talking about how the sand was damp when they bought it. Think it'll be fine?
Who told you river sand? Wrong. May be cheaper but can have all sorts of pollutants in it from animal feces to chemicals ..Play sand is the cleanest. so don't worry. you did good
Well dry is good..... but it will dry shortly if its hot as it is here where you are..

Who told you river sand? Wrong. May be cheaper but can have all sorts of pollutants in it from animal feces to chemicals ..Play sand is the cleanest. so don't worry. you did good
Well dry is good..... but it will dry shortly if its hot as it is here where you are..
i guess it depends on where your river is. I lived on river water for many years. Something to consider I guess

Quote: River sand can be bought at Sand and Gravel companies...... sterilized and cleaned. But I would say any river or stream bed you would consider swimming in yourself would be fine. I personally use decomposed granite scratched up from my own property. Dog poop rabbit deer poop and all. The only danger I have seen is bringing in weeds.

deb "Whos making a very hard descision today"

Back
Top Bottom