Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Actually all is good. I would have been hard pressed to find where to put the eggs in my luggage.

After my last trip with about 150 eggs no-showing I did like the airlines and overbooked. I would have had to offer bumps LOL.

All packed and just cleaning up the mess of all those peanuts, shredded paper, tissues and bubble wrap that people pack eggs in then off to LAX

Hasta manana people!!
  2. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have to get going but....

I just got a text from Bernie

19 days ago set 28 eggs. 20 have hatched, 2 pipped and 2 chirping

looks like we are all systems go for as good a hatch as shipped eggs will allow.

2 people like this.
  4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I dated a fellow who was stationed at an ICBM tracking station back in the late 70s. San Diego is a Navy town so it was very unnusual to come across an Airforce guy..... LOL. Were you in San Diego or further North.

WRT pollution.... each area has its problems. I happen to live in an area where I would drink puddle water if it were clear enough.

Yep eighteen acres on teeny little finger of the Sonoran Desert about half way between the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. About two miles from the Mexican border and one and a half miles from paved road. No Cell, No TV Barely power because I am at the end of the grid. Id have phones if the goats hadnt "rewired" them. The land is magnificent... Crisp burned air and when the wind blows the screens on the house scream so loud you cant have a conversation. Sometimes from the deep low desert and some times from the Pacific. I live where the earth breathes.....

I miss it so much sometimes. Living for now, here in town caring for Grandma. I drive the sixty miles twice a week to tend my animals. A neighbor keeps an eye on the place for me.

This picture is looking due north. Look north west and you could see my house if you were up about twenty feet.

my little shack notice the rocks and the driveway are the same color. all Granite.

Its at about 3000 feet so we get about 72 hours worth of snow in the winter.

1 person likes this.
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am on the plane. 1st row yipee. Reminds me of a joke. What is the last thing to go through a bugs mind as he hits the windshield? His nose. Ta-da.

It turned out that the eggs not hatched today did not hatch because the were removed. This means a 100% hatch on fertile eggs. That's acceptable.
  6. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow and wow and more wow.

Deb, your land looks amazing, Oz, welcome to our time zone :) and a big congrats on the successful hatch rates!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

I may have missed your explanation, but what happened Deb??[​IMG]
  8. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Woo on the new hatch! Lol I've heard that joke. Except as my big brother puts it, the last thing to go through the bugs mind is his 'butt'. Of course that isn't the exact word he uses but you get the idea. :lol:
  9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my, deb, how horrible. I am SO sorry to hear about this. It literally hurts my heart to read your description. We all do the best we can with the information and resources we have...again, I am so sorry. I hope someday soon you will be able to rebuild and restock and enjoy it all again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by