1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC

My kids heard him this morning and was afraid something was in the coop! And all the hens duck for cover every time!

2. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    I'll never forget the first time we heard a rooster learning how to crow. My husband and I were like, 'da HECK?!? We thought something was wrong with it...lol.

3. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you use black Zip Ties, I have some still in fence use after 3 years (holding hot wire/rope onto insulators)

Grand-pa used 2and3 wire gates with temp pasture fencing, back in the day, Haven't even thought of them for years, simple, fast and, light weight!

Yes I miss baling wire also.

Scott

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

LMBO!! That is hilarious and reminds me of the time we first heard our Roo try to crow years ago, our property is narrow but long and the chickens take up the back 1/4 of our acre, anyways we were sitting outside one morning and heard him and it stopped up dead in our tracks, prolly woke up the neighbors at 6 am cause we were laughing so hard

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I do love the sound of the beginners.

I am fortunate to have chickens in the country where there is probably the highest percentage of roosters to hens in the world.

Late night karaoke sure beats a crowing rooster for annoying me during my sleep.

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Got to love them Kazoo Crows..... [​IMG]

deb

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Seriously give those zip ties a little tug test. Last ones I had holding a six by six by four aviary cage I was using for a coop I went to move it and one wall came loose. And I was using the black rated for UV. Hotwire isnt as important as cage wire but still can be a mess if it comes loose. Then again we get very very hot blazing sun days here..... Could be a difference in climate.

deb

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

12 guage solid core electric wire is my bailing wire

9. lcahill

lcahill Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used 14 gauge solid galvanized electric fence wire but my all time favorite is concrete re-bar tie wire. it's 14 ga or 16 ga and is extremely cheap comparatively speaking. I also use the heck out of zip ties and had only a few issues with them breaking. I used to compete in demolition derby and re-bar tie wire and zip ties (AND of course duct tape) can hold a car together if used right.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have purchased 200 lbs of rebar tie wire for our fence project over the last few months. It is buried in concrete. If I buy too far in advance it disintegrates but then again so does corrugated GI roofing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by