Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I posted in both locations and it was hatched at 22day and it started off not doing good got better but can only walk a few steps then lays there I'm putting food and water in front of it and I pick its body up to try to strengthen its legs

I posted in both locations and it was hatched at 22day and it started off not doing good got better but can only walk a few steps then lays there I'm putting food and water in front of it and I pick its body up to try to strengthen its legs

many people will put a bird like that in a paper cup to force it to have its legs under it. make sure it gets water and food though.

If its getting stronger you are on the right track.

Today is supposed to be lockdown on the chicken eggs. Its day 19. I usually get pipping by this afternoon Phils time.

Instead of transferring the eggs, we have gone into power conservation mode due to a power outage. Its been going on now for 4 hours and we are still on the first truck battery. We have just the big bator that will not be opened til the power comes on and one 40w brooder light for the 110 quail chicks. Its 88F so I am not worries about them for a few hours.

It amazes me that the power always does this at hatch time. I am not worried about the chooks. I just want to give the other eggs still to come a chance of making it without a drama filled third trimester.
barnie.gif

Help my chick won't stand on its legs it's a day old what can I do

One of our chicks couldn't stand up for a good week or so after she was born. We separated her from the other chicks, putting her in a small shoe box within the brood box, close enough to the heat lamp, but not too close. Put some food in there, water, etc. She slowly gained strength and was eventually able to stand up and hop around just like the other chicks.

She has always been considerably smaller than the other birds and is the lowest in the pecking order. Our neighbor says he doesn't think she'll produce as well as the other ladies. Next time, I would probably cull her right off the bat.

ETA: When I hatched "Dave", I came to BYC 's Injury Thread to see if anybody had any advice and not many folks responded. Some of the threads are really active and some aren't.

Last edited:
the IncubationThread discusses curled toes, chicks that can't stand, straddle leg, all that stuff occurring to chicks at various times, whenever somebody encounters it during or immediately after hatching.

The anticipation game is on. The eggs were set on Saturday at midday. Its now Friday 9AM. I am expecting a zip-fest later today.

After our success with the quail, I can only hope the recipe works for the chooks.

Yesterday we had five separate power outages totaling 15 hours. The batteries did their job and held temps.

I wish I had a microphone in the bator to hear the chirping. It has been raining too hard on the metal roof for Bernie to hear anything.

a couple pics of my work in progress flock

Picture016.jpg
Picture013-1.jpg
Picture009.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture017.jpg

i hired this black cat to guard my new cabinet bator
so far it's working out well :)

001.jpg

The anticipation game is on. The eggs were set on Saturday at midday. Its now Friday 9AM. I am expecting a zip-fest later today.

After our success with the quail, I can only hope the recipe works for the chooks.

Yesterday we had five separate power outages totaling 15 hours. The batteries did their job and held temps.

I wish I had a microphone in the bator to hear the chirping. It has been raining too hard on the metal roof for Bernie to hear anything.

Only checking every 7 1/2 minutes for updates
hide.gif

Last edited:
It has finally started. As the 12 midday bugle from the nearby base sounded the end of day 20, pips were seen on the black orpingtons, white leghorns and banty cochins.

There are a few blind spots in the display case with 8 baskets in there so I wont get accurate numbers till this time tomorrow.

I am following the technique of no added water to the hatch. The ambient humidity is 80-100 as a tropical depression is giving us a good soaking. The lid wont go up till tomorrow.

Bernie is sick with a fever so Analou is providing the updated counts. I actually communicate with her all the time as she is the English speaker.

Back
Top Bottom