Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

so its been 36 hours without an issue.

90% of the quail fell victim. we are down to just 12 from 110. There are 5 jumbos 3 A&M and 4 Pharoah.

This is the third attempt at propagating them. In 7 weeks we will have quail eggs if they survive, We will have to fire up the bator every 2 weeks and try and make babies.

The bators are resting, they have been bleached and when the current typhoon tracks further north we will sit them in the sun.

I ordered Bacitracin to add to my war chest today.

Our two roosters returned by my father in law are still in quarantine. they look good. they will be out in a week.

I googled some pictures of slaughtered Cemani... fiance says he does NOT want those chickens
lol.png
I have to admit, grey flesh looks pretty darn unappetizing.. like they're spoiled.

To me, it's not the color as much as the size, If I'm going to clean a bird I do want enough to make a meal, black meat & bones or not.

Scott

I can only imagine plucking a silky is a task on it's own. And face it, most Westerners consider silkies pets
wink.png
I think bantams are cute, but not for me. I like LF for the production they provide. I have enough 'pets'. To me bantams are the stuff you let free-range to keep bugs under control.

It looks like we have the quail issue under control.

We have had no deaths in 3 days now.

I got photos this morning when I woke up. Seeing all those dead chicks was awful. I feel sorry for Bernie.

The two roos in quarantine gor into it yesterday, The Wyandotte lost both eyes, He is now slow cooking for adobo. We have another to breed with and one was going to have to go so its not all bad. Bernie finally had to eat one of his chickens.

We will give antibiotics for another 5 days.

A week after that we will transfer the quail to the quail condominiums and the chicks and keets to their coop.

The egg house will get a thorough soaking with ammonia and then a week later - once its been hosed out several times - with bleach. When I get over there we will use a mix of formaldehyde and potassium permangenate to fumigate the whole place then finally fog it with oxine. Between the four antimicrobials we should be able to perform surgery in there. Clostridium bacteria form spores that are tough to kill but the above regimen and sunlight should destroy them.

It looks like we have the quail issue under control.

We have had no deaths in 3 days now.

I got photos this morning when I woke up. Seeing all those dead chicks was awful. I feel sorry for Bernie.

The two roos in quarantine gor into it yesterday, The Wyandotte lost both eyes, He is now slow cooking for adobo. We have another to breed with and one was going to have to go so its not all bad. Bernie finally had to eat one of his chickens.

We will give antibiotics for another 5 days.

A week after that we will transfer the quail to the quail condominiums and the chicks and keets to their coop.

The egg house will get a thorough soaking with ammonia and then a week later - once its been hosed out several times - with bleach. When I get over there we will use a mix of formaldehyde and potassium permangenate to fumigate the whole place then finally fog it with oxine. Between the four antimicrobials we should be able to perform surgery in there. Clostridium bacteria form spores that are tough to kill but the above regimen and sunlight should destroy them.
Normally I might say ,over kill. In this case I'm wondering that the egg house is still standing and not a hot dog fire?

hugs.gif
to you and Bernie!

Scott

Back
Top Bottom