Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am on the plane taxiing to the gate at LAX.

Next drive home.

Then sleep.

I have to remember to keep it in that order lol.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

just a few pics

[​IMG]

The three little pigs got their tetanus and Rhinoshield vaccines as well as a ID tag. They are eight weeks old and growing so fast.

[​IMG]

This is Caprino - the 6 month old 97% Nubian buckling. He, along with Feta and the local goats was deloused and wormed.

We will sell off a local doe on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

Bernie and a doeling from our pygmy local goats

[​IMG]

Motza following her tetanus shot and invermectin pour on. Her lice infestation was gone in 24 hours. Amazing

2 people like this.
  3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome pics!!!!
    Love how everything is so green and clean!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks

The area behind the pics is where the new piggery is going to go. We had to work it in between a Papaya tree and a Carob tree growing on either side.

One of the coconut trees that was cut down was turned into 1x3 boards to make the floor of the new goat house. The floor will be 5-6 feet off the ground so the goats should enjoy their ocean view.

5. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Lucky goats!!!

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Here is a shot of the farrowing pen construction. its a 3 day effort for each pen. The second was almost finished. We will get them done at Christmas

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Top effort.

Those pigs don't stay tiny for long!

8. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    good looking pigs OZ & i like their pen with cement floor, 1st class man [​IMG]

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks

The cement floor has a drain to a septic tank and is easy to keep clean. Its the the larger one of three small pens I have. We are on schedule to buy 3 more piglets when I am there at Christmas and will be really short on space by the end of Feb.

Construction just started on the new piggery. It will have room for all 9 sows with lots of square footage per pig.

1 person likes this.
  10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

One week until the quail hatch. This time around the little buggers are getting feed medicated with a hint of bacitracin for the first 8 weeks.

I am determine to have quail. I really think they are the bird of the masses with their feed conversion. I worked out how to hatch them. Now we just have to keep them alive.

We may have a market to sell guineas, pheasant and partridge. A Bacolod restaurant wants to talk to me when I get back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by