Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    here in the desert rust is not too bad on metal; the chicken wire rusted because it was on moist earth as there is a garden bed along that side of the pen (it was there for about 6 years or more) . We may go 4 months without a drop of rain and have 10-15% humidity most of the year unless a rain storm is imminent. There is wood and metal out here over 100 yrs old and just now getting rusted enough to be holey
  2. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been a very wet spring and so far this summer we have had over 80 mils of rain, so I have the most green grass I have had in 10 years.
    Warming up at last this week with 38 degrees forecast for Thursday.
    No emus here - the wrong kind of country. Nearest emus are about 80 kms away. (Although some locals have pet emus.)

xxxxx M
  3. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an electric wire at fox nose height all around my pens- it has kept out foxes and dogs for 22 years.
    But of course we don't have all the terrible predators here that you have over there.

xxxx M
  4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its 700 here and i have not been to sleep.

I was wound up at midnight so I started packing shipping boxes for the Philippines, Because of the shear numbers of Filipinos sending stuff home, there are several companies that offer door to door at very cheap rates compared to any other international shipping. AN 18x18x24 box costs 50 bucks door to door in Manila - regardless of weight. It takes 4-6 weeks. its $70 to our place and takes 8 weeks.

I am shipping a couple of 110--220 power coverters, a few boxes of nail gun nails, a gallon of cold galvanizing compound, some 14" cut off wheels, brooder lamps and 10kg of vitamins and minerals a chinese company sent me as a sample and some sundry tools that are cheaper here and hard to find there. It should make for a 200lb box.

I have lunch with my folks who are over from Oz and visiting my sister so I better ger 2 or 3 hours sleep
    1 person likes this.
  7. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Pleasant Dreams
  8. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA

Gosh!! Hope you have a REALLY strong box!!!!!
  9. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    The first pen the fox was in to had 6' chicken wire with a hot wire close to the ground and another at about 5'. This was supposed to be a temporary arrangement (yea like 3 years now....) so I just used Tposts and didn't brace the corners. The wire had sagged really bad in one place so I think the fox was jumping over the bottom wire and climbing the sagging fence and so getting under the top wire (the sag in one spot made the fence only about 45 degrees or so)

I've since straightened up the fence and added another hot wire. So then it went after the duck pen. Will have some extra days off over the holidays so hope the weather is good and I can get my new chicken house finished. Then I can move some birds around. Also waiting for the friends to come pick up the foster chickens, that will relieve the space issue a bit.
  10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

as frowned upon as it is, a few nasty old rabbit traps around a bait will take him out.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by