Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

This won't be the 5,000 post but I wanted to tell you that your chicken mission motivated me to donate through Heifer International.

I take my extra eggs to work and coworkers buy them for whatever donation they want to make.

Everything I take in goes to Heifer International where they will provide a flock of chickens to someone in need (you can donate for specific livestock) for each $20.

They provide animal husbandry education and require the recipient pass on livestock to another individual on need when their own herd, flock, etc increases.

Just wanted to share that I believe in what you're doing, and this is my way to contribute. I've been meaning to tell you for some time.
That is great!

They are doing good work and you are making a differnce to peoples' lives!

So Ameracuana (or Easter Egger...understanding that technically, they are different breeds) can lay blue, green, or pink, yes? Is there any way to tell which hen will lay which color? Is the gene for egg color represented somehow on the colors of the bird?

Gosh, that sounds like a stupid question...I'm not really sure I'm asking it correctly. But of my three Ameracuana hens (they may be EE, I'm not really sure), one has a very dark head, one has a very light head, and one has a medium color head. I have no idea which hen laid these eggs.
White ears white eggs.... but EEs will have a variety.... Each EE will lay her own color egg.... So one hen wont lay all the different colors possible.

Bout the only way to determine which hen laid which egg is to either trap nest her or be on hand when she lays her egg. Trap nests have a door that shuts when they go in and it has to be opened by you. YOu could also rig a camera and record too.

deb

Wahoo!

What a great day! EDIT: Dang...thought it would be me lol.

Sally, I put PVC hose over the slat if it has a really little egg in that space.

Glad to read your hatch is going well Oz, how are the pigs doing?

Last edited:
Wahoo!

What a great day! EDIT: Dang...thought it would be me lol.

Sally, I put PVC hose over the slat if it has a really little egg in that space.

Glad to read your hatch is going well Oz, how are the pigs doing?
The pigs are back to normal. I stopped the medications already.

The hatch has really solidified some of my breeds. One more good foreign egg hatch should complete that phase of the plan.

The guys are finishing off the goat house this week then its all fence work until its finished.

A pure Americauna will lay a blue egg.An EE if the one parent is Americauna or blue egg layer and other breed is a tan egg layer can but not necessarily will lay green egg.The blue color is laid out over the original coloir of egg so a white egg layer crossed with a pure Amercauna will lay a blue egg.A tan egg layer crossed with a blue will lay a green of some kind.

A pure Americauna will lay a blue egg.An EE if the one parent is Americauna or blue egg layer and other breed is a tan egg layer can but not necessarily will lay green egg.The blue color is laid out over the original coloir of egg so a white egg layer crossed with a pure Amercauna will lay a blue egg.A tan egg layer crossed with a blue will lay a green of some kind.

So the hen that laid these eggs is likely an EE, which I had suspected. Now that I think more about it, I'm not actually sure these hens did hatch out of blue eggs. The eggs I hatched were mixed color, some light brown, some blue...but none were green.

From what I understand, EEs are frequently sold (incorrectly) as pure Americauna and many buyers are none the wiser. I know our neighbor believes there is no difference.

So Ameracuana (or Easter Egger...understanding that technically, they are different breeds) can lay blue, green, or pink, yes? Is there any way to tell which hen will lay which color? Is the gene for egg color represented somehow on the colors of the bird?

Gosh, that sounds like a stupid question...I'm not really sure I'm asking it correctly. But of my three Ameracuana hens (they may be EE, I'm not really sure), one has a very dark head, one has a very light head, and one has a medium color head. I have no idea which hen laid these eggs.

Use different colors of food coloring and place a drop on the hens vent. This will cause a colored streaks on the egg and you can match those to the color on put on the vent and identify layer.

Back
Top Bottom