Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Well not because the neighbors will nab them - they just eat my chickens. Filipinos have an amazing community sense when it comes to caring for kids.

The nannies are the chasers. I am too knocked around to be chasing toddlers. The kids have pretty much a free reign - just need to make sure they don't come head to head with a territorial Roo or Tom.

3. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Oz, are you going to keep any of the local chickens? Tried and true genetics for survival in the tropics. They may be useful for cross breeding if some of your Merkan chickens don't adapt well to the heat and humidity.

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Yes I am. I have started collecting the chicks from their mothers at about 4 weeks of age and putting them in a coop. I have 12 so far. There are another 6 in the brooder that were abandoned by their mom too eager to get the next ones going. I will build up my locals to about 15 hens and four roosters.

The local poultry has a lot of good qualities. One of the reasons I bought so many mutt birds here is to mix them with locals and see if I can breed some hardy production birds.

5. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm happy to hear you're taking Dorking eggs with you. I can't wait to know how they do there.

Ps - if you're missing beef over there, you should look into Muscovy duck. They taste nothing like duck and a lot like beef. 98% leaner and the breast can be prepared just like steak. They are excellent mommas and excellent broodies!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    Just read all 58 pages! What interesting stories and adventures!
    Subscribed after reading the first couple pages - can't wait for more photos and updates.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i just bought a pair of muscovy ducks over there. i look forward ro trying the offspring.

I am also hauling an incubator worth of Pekins Rouens and possibly Campbells over for that "real duck taste"

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have some in the bator right now - another test hatch went in yesterday. These are well traveled buff Orps and I have local Brahmas going in Sunday.

I am starting to build a bator that will fit in a balikbayan box - 18 x 18 x 24. I should get 3 x 42 egg turners in it. I will whip up a separate hatch-a-bator should we get into staggered hatches.

1 person likes this.
  9. nursebecky99

nursebecky99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Alamance County NC
    I am lurking on this thread, just fascinated...And also, I am a fellow crazy medical person, Certified nurse midwife/Labor&Delivery nurse...soon-to-be chicken owner!

10. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA

Love the pics of your merkan chicks, but I am partial LOL.

Bureaucracy has delayed our trip to Mexico- permits galore. Who knew that returning somebody to their homeland was do complicated *sigh* I'm leaving Saturday/ returning next Saturday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by