Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. piglett

piglett Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    i want to take an old fridge & make it into a hatcher
    that will free up my bator so i can restock it with more eggs at once

i want a pic of that bator before you pack it up

also LBC has some big balikbayan boxes , they are 28" long so you could build a good sized stand up hatcher & box er up

2. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Songster

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    May 27 tick-tock LOL. Wow your egg count will be impressive Oz.

I also have a few barred rock hens, I will work on finding a roo and that may get you some eggs by that date as well. I will finish the pens when I am back. There are a few barred rocks in the lake Elsinore batch, 2-3 look pure, but we'll see how they grow out.

So tell me about your current test hatches :) what's cooking??

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The Lake Elsinore roo is a Rhode Island Red. Eggs are from Various Breeds:plymouth Barred Rocks, Plymouth White Rocks and Rhode Island Reds.Others are Mixed hens.

I am cooking 12 ebay Buff Orps now and with have 18 odyssey farms black/blue/splash giant cochins cooking Sunday. Get the brooder ready

4. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Songster

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

feb 26 and march 3

My problem may be getting the eggs. I will also be picking up in Lancaster. i have to put in some work that day and my flight leaves at 9pm. I would have to run to San Diego the evening before.

Ayy logistics

6. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Songster

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    I could do your san Diego pickups and you could just come here to my house... or ? When the date is closer we can figure it out.

7. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Songster

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    Mind you I don't know where Lancaster is LOL

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Lancaster is in the high desert about 70 miles north of Anaheim

9. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Songster

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    Yikes

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

Stew-ie the baby billy goat. He will make a nice letchong kanding for my 51st birthday in November

[​IMG]

Tom the terrorizer. I cant wait to get some replacement turkeys - this guy hates me - he sees me come out of the house from 100 yards away and he will make a special trip to see if he han punch a hole in my leg.

[​IMG]

Our lone hen turkey. She is not the world's best mom. I will try and get her eggs in the incubator next breeding session.

[​IMG]

My ducks. I had no clue what I was getting - They sure look like Muscovy to me. I love the meat from Muscovy but am looking forward to some Pekin and Rouens to add to the foray. Maybe On the May trip I will take a good clutch of Muscovies from here. These are on the smaller end of the spectrum.

[​IMG]

The now one month old chicks looking over the edge of their new coop.

[​IMG]

Night time sleeping arrangements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by