Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I wish I had one of the breeds you need! It would be so fun to see my chicken's offspring in another country, but I just have a mix of barnyard beauties.

The support from SoCal people who want to take part in getting the flock out of here is amazing. OffGridMAMA was the first BYCer to have her chicks hatched overseas hers are beautiful mutts. They will have to get visas to get back though.

I have Creme Legbar, Dorking and Pekin Duck hatching eggs to take over. I am committed to try and improve the breeds I take with me as well as improve the general chicken population.

I have barred rocks and RIR..but unfortunatly I'm all the way in Georgia!

I am surprised with how difficult it is to find these two breeds here. They used to be the backbone of the chicken flocks in America. Now we are all into Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Silver and gold Laced Polish, English Jubilee Large Fowl Orpingtons and any other birds with names that use for or five words (BTW I have BLRW so I am into it as well - LOL)

Quote: I have 10 RIRs, 5 brown leg horns, a barred rock breeding trio, 3 silkie hens (with one sitting on 4 barred rock eggs!) and a rooster, and 2 silkie roosters I'm trying to sell (it was 4 but I just sold 2 today!). I would love to get some barred rock eggs for you but I'm just soo far away!! I'm also gettin buff orps, black australorps, and silver laced wyandottes mid March so I'm getting some of those "fancy" birds too :)

Your backyard flock is a perfect mix of birds. With your new arrivals it will be essentially the core of my planned flock. Still so me rare and fancy breeds are great too. My neice is in Augusta GA. Maybe when she flies home to visit her mom in LA I can arrange something.

Thanks for your support!!

Your backyard flock is a perfect mix of birds. With your new arrivals it will be essentially the core of my planned flock.  Still so me rare and fancy breeds are great too. My neice is in Augusta GA. Maybe when she flies home to visit her mom in LA I can arrange something.

Thanks for your support!!

That's funny cause I literally live 15 minutes from Augusta! And no problem. I've really loved following your story

I may have real rir eggs for your next run, I have two pure rir hens and a fellow bycer is giving me a nice rir roo. Will pickup next week when I'm back from Mexico. Do you know what your egg count is at? Will you have room??? The great adventure continues :) I'm super proud that you hatched my eggs abroad! Love it.

I may have real rir eggs for your next run, I have two pure rir hens and a fellow bycer is giving me a nice rir roo. Will pickup next week when I'm back from Mexico. Do you know what your egg count is at? Will you have room??? The great adventure continues
smile.png
I'm super proud that you hatched my eggs abroad! Love it.

I will find room for the eggs if you have RIR. Even if its just a few. I so much want RIR BA and BR.

The egg count? Its a work in progress that changes with confirmations but my max capacity will be 164 chicken eggs, 41 Ducks, 41 Guinea fowl, 15 turkey.and 120 cotornix. I would find another bator if I could get some goose.

I am building a bator here that can handle the chicken eggs. I will design it so I can break it down and box it for shipping. I will build a hatching bator when I get there. I have 3 styro bators now and will need to work something out for the turkey eggs over the next few weeks.

I have enough of these inserts for the chicken duck and guineas. I need to get a sheet for the quail and hand pack the turkey.

Its coming together.

Back
Top Bottom