Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Today we will fill saved toilet roll cardboard cylinders with compost mix and plant giant lima beans, water melon, canteloupe, jamaican kalabasa squash, butternut squash, and cucumber seeds. The toilet rolls are great to start seeds that dont like transplanting as you can frop the whole container in the ground and not disturb the roots.

I've done my melons that way, this year. Only thing I find is that they do get a tad moldy on the outside and some of them want to unwrap. No big deal, rubber band to the rescue!

Holey Mackeral

I have 6 hours sleep and the place gets busy.

Welcom new people. Its great to have you along. I am impressed that you could wade through our trials and tribulations.

The tomato is a local. I love it and what it represents.

The Merkan tomatoes are 8-10" tall and doing well. Analou just planted and tossed the packaging so I have no idea what they are. They are from some seeds i bought in 2012.

We have 2 more varieties with labels werer planted 2 weeks ago and have sprouted while another six varieties were sown yesterday.

Local string beans and bitter squash are flowering,

Two varieties of okra - Texas Loghorn and Red Velvet have germinated,

Kale, Mustard Greens, Swiss Chard and Romain Lettuce are all flourishing.

Sweet corn, Anaheim peppers and baby bush lima beans are also up.

Today we will fill saved toilet roll cardboard cylinders with compost mix and plant giant lima beans, water melon, canteloupe, jamaican kalabasa squash, butternut squash, and cucumber seeds. The toilet rolls are great to start seeds that dont like transplanting as you can frop the whole container in the ground and not disturb the roots.

I can see my trip at the end of May being full of locally grown produce.

The May trip will be so exciting!!

Quote:
With mum spelt the CORRECT way
thumbsup.gif

With mum spelt the CORRECT way :thumbsup

Agreed! One memory that my wife and I still laugh about from when we first started dating was driving past a plant nursery that had a big sign out in front advertising a special on "mums". I hadn't been in the states long at the time and so I made some comment about it to my now wife who thought it was hilarious. We still get a good laugh each fall when we see "mum booster" at various home improvement and garden stores.

Wow... I finally got to the end of this thread after accidentally clicking on it. It's been amazing so far.

Anyways I'm Amber and I have horrible luck with chickens. I've bought 56 hatchery chicks and have 20 left. I lost both BO pullets and all 3 buff laced polish. But I have 7 meaties left , a cuckoo maran, 7 black pullets, 2 white ones, and a chipmunk. No idea what any of them are. I also have 6 buff brahmas and 6 EEs. I miss the polishes. I have 9 eggs in a cardboard box tho I think only 1 is still viable, they are due Sundayish. I have 8 chicken eggs(tho I think they are all clear) due in about a week. Then 2 ducks, a goose, and 8 more chicks due a week later. And finally 3 ducks and a goose a week later. So yeah. Hi!

Oh and Oz I know someone with black Sumatra's. I may be able to get you a dozen or so if you let me know when.

Wow... I finally got to the end of this thread after accidentally clicking on it. It's been amazing so far.

Anyways I'm Amber and I have horrible luck with chickens. I've bought 56 hatchery chicks and have 20 left. I lost both BO pullets and all 3 buff laced polish. But I have 7 meaties left , a cuckoo maran, 7 black pullets, 2 white ones, and a chipmunk. No idea what any of them are. I also have 6 buff brahmas and 6 EEs. I miss the polishes. I have 9 eggs in a cardboard box tho I think only 1 is still viable, they are due Sundayish. I have 8 chicken eggs(tho I think they are all clear) due in about a week. Then 2 ducks, a goose, and 8 more chicks due a week later. And finally 3 ducks and a goose a week later. So yeah. Hi!

Oh and Oz I know someone with black Sumatra's. I may be able to get you a dozen or so if you let me know when.

it takes time to figure it all out
i failed the 1 & only time i set muscovy duck eggs
i ended up buying up a bunch of youngsters last fall
i'll let the 9 females i have do the hatching for me

i have done well hatching chicken eggs once i learned all the inns & outs

oh & welcome to the crazy chicken man thread
we are all crazy but only chicken crazy :)

piglett

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom