Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Wow... I finally got to the end of this thread after accidentally clicking on it. It's been amazing so far.

Anyways I'm Amber and I have horrible luck with chickens. I've bought 56 hatchery chicks and have 20 left. I lost both BO pullets and all 3 buff laced polish. But I have 7 meaties left , a cuckoo maran, 7 black pullets, 2 white ones, and a chipmunk. No idea what any of them are. I also have 6 buff brahmas and 6 EEs. I miss the polishes. I have 9 eggs in a cardboard box tho I think only 1 is still viable, they are due Sundayish. I have 8 chicken eggs(tho I think they are all clear) due in about a week. Then 2 ducks, a goose, and 8 more chicks due a week later. And finally 3 ducks and a goose a week later. So yeah. Hi!

Oh and Oz I know someone with black Sumatra's. I may be able to get you a dozen or so if you let me know when.
sumatras?

sure!

next sanctioned egg run is the last week in may

After 4 long days I have finally read this entire thread! I'm speechless. Oz, you and the awesome BYCers who have been drawn into your dreams and vision are amazing! As everyone else has done when popping out of "lurkdom", just a quick intro. I'm a first time chicken owner in Virginia. Originally from Alabama, I have lived across the US and even Europe as a child. I have 4 spoiled laying hens and currently 2 Styrofoam incubators holding what will be my first 2 of hopefully many more hatches to come. Reading this over the last few days, I have laughed, cried, crossed my fingers and been on the edge of my seat...just AWESOME! And Oz, I'm a beekeeper, too!
Welcome to the club of feathered mind fellows!

Wow... I finally got to the end of this thread after accidentally clicking on it. It's been amazing so far.

Anyways I'm Amber and I have horrible luck with chickens. I've bought 56 hatchery chicks and have 20 left. I lost both BO pullets and all 3 buff laced polish. But I have 7 meaties left , a cuckoo maran, 7 black pullets, 2 white ones, and a chipmunk. No idea what any of them are. I also have 6 buff brahmas and 6 EEs. I miss the polishes. I have 9 eggs in a cardboard box tho I think only 1 is still viable, they are due Sundayish. I have 8 chicken eggs(tho I think they are all clear) due in about a week. Then 2 ducks, a goose, and 8 more chicks due a week later. And finally 3 ducks and a goose a week later. So yeah. Hi!

Oh and Oz I know someone with black Sumatra's. I may be able to get you a dozen or so if you let me know when.
Welcome to the coop Amber! Horrible luck gone, good luck coming.

Quote:
we set our seeds in a water container in the living room you know the kind that holds 2 1/2 gallons we cut 1 side out of it & then layed it down makes for a great free container so all is well till the cat gets in there & moves everything around (good job cat) it took extra time for the 1st signs of plants to show up but there are now +/- 40 tiny tomato plants started i need to thin them out soon , i guess i better get drinking some more water :)
that's a great container! I'll have to look into that next year. I think it's too late to start seedlings. I've been so focused on building the brooder, coop and taking care of chicks, I have done NOTHING so far in my garden. Oh well, I'm very excited and happy with my first batch of babies!

After 4 long days I have finally read this entire thread! I'm speechless. Oz, you and the awesome BYCers who have been drawn into your dreams and vision are amazing! As everyone else has done when popping out of "lurkdom", just a quick intro. I'm a first time chicken owner in Virginia. Originally from Alabama, I have lived across the US and even Europe as a child. I have 4 spoiled laying hens and currently 2 Styrofoam incubators holding what will be my first 2 of hopefully many more hatches to come. Reading this over the last few days, I have laughed, cried, crossed my fingers and been on the edge of my seat...just AWESOME! And Oz, I'm a beekeeper, too!
welcome! This has finely been an interesting thread! I'm still not quite done myself, lol! Ooooooooh bees! That's something I've wanted to get into for years! Maybe next year when I have my chickens all good and going! I really want to invest in a good incubator too do hopefully by next year, I'll be hatching my own babies! It's been a crazy fun fussy few days! I just got my first 15 babies last Saturday, they are Week old today. I'll post some pics :)

here are my one week old today fuzzy butts that I got from Wisher. They're growing so fast, I can't believe it! I highly recommend her chicks!

Nice chickees

back on the farm...

The guys are all out to finish the stucco on the fence this week. Philippine hollow blocks are not like the ones in the USA and require a finish on the outside to protect from the weather.

The goal is to start the new pig pens on Monday.

Its day 18 on the mega hatch. Lockdown tomorrow night.

Modifications were made to the smaller cabinet bator to use it as a hatcher. It needed baskets that would fit to hold the eggs while providing sufficient ventilation as well as a window front.

now we should be able to see when the pipping and zipping starts

Last edited:
I kept seeing this thread in my wanderings around BYC and thought I would check it out.  I haven't really read any of it, someone was referred here because of ants in an incubator and I thought, ok I keep seeing this so I guess I'll wander over there and take a peek.  641 pages is a lot to get through but from what someone else said, it might be worth trying to catch up on.  A little at a time as I'm trying to not spend soooo much time on BYC... I actually do have a life that I need to participate in.  :oops:
Hi lacy!!
Guess what your BAs kids are residents in PI... Everyone I'd like y'all to meet lacy blues she was gracious enough to get me started in blue andalusians and I have passed the torch to OZ!

Hi lacy!!
Guess what your BAs kids are residents in PI... Everyone I'd like y'all to meet lacy blues she was gracious enough to get me started in blue andalusians and I have passed the torch to OZ!

Hi there! How's it going? Wow, PI, that's somewhere between LA and the Philippines? Glad the birds are doing well an making lots of babies for you.

Thanks for the intro too!

Back
Top Bottom