Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Photo copied and pasted without permission from San Diego meet up thread:

LL

That's COOL, can't wait for our area meet up. And soon the BYC Philippines chapter thanks to OZ.

I had a great weekend

Saturday was a fun day - I went to the San Diego BYC meet up. I put faces to names and got to meet some great chicken people. The diversity of people with back yard chickens is amazing.

LL

My Sunday was spent with my sister who lives in SoCal also - along with her kids.

I decided to make the incubation of the Giant Cochins I got the day before into a science project. We candled the 5 day old Orps and got to see chicken life. We made a journal with the weights of the new eggs and I will have them over each weekend to weigh the eggs, candle them and document their progress. The kids are 12,10 and 3. They lapped it up.

After much discussion here and loads of research, I have decided to go with rice husks for the litter in our coops. I did this based on the suitability - it dry and does not absorb water - and the cost - its free.

After I came to the decision, I had a discussion with my wife. One of the problems we face with supplies is logistics.

When we need something, we have to get it to our place. Our options are to do it ourselves - which means we (or my wife) needs to drive 2.5hrs each way to take care of it, to get my wife's father to drop it off along the way, or have it delivered. As it happens - we had 100 lengths of bamboo being delivered by a cane truck and the guys who were delivering the cane stopped and filled 20 sacks with rice husks along the way. Perfect!

So now out chooks have comfortable bedding that I should not have to clean out for months at a time
celebrate.gif

My brother in law will be in the area tomorrow. Photos to follow.

What? Come on!!

Welcome youngchooklover - good to see an another Aussie here - even if you are from south Australia (just kidding).

I have done a few searches for the Philippines and BYC and come up with about 4 people. I have joined the Philippines thread.

Currently in the Philippines, chickens are a poor mans hobby - not for those who can afford internet. Fighting cocks cover all gametes of financial status but I do not which to propagate anything to do with cock fighting.

One of my missions is to market designer chooks to wealthy Filipinas - to make it trendy to have a small fancy coop with small fancy chickens (enter the silkies and polish). In five years there will be lots of Filipinas on here instead of Facebook.

After much discussion here and loads of research, I have decided to go with rice husks for the litter in our coops. I did this based on the suitability - it dry and does not absorb water - and the cost - its free.

After I came to the decision, I had a discussion with my wife. One of the problems we face with supplies is logistics.

When we need something, we have to get it to our place. Our options are to do it ourselves - which means we (or my wife) needs to drive 2.5hrs each way to take care of it, to get my wife's father to drop it off along the way, or have it delivered. As it happens - we had 100 lengths of bamboo being delivered by a cane truck and the guys who were delivering the cane stopped and filled 20 sacks with rice husks along the way. Perfect!

So now out chooks have comfortable bedding that I should not have to clean out for months at a time
celebrate.gif

My brother in law will be in the area tomorrow. Photos to follow.
yesss.gif

Welcome youngchooklover - good to see an another Aussie here - even if you are from south Australia (just kidding).

I have done a few searches for the Philippines and BYC and come up with about 4 people. I have joined the Philippines thread.

Currently in the Philippines, chickens are a poor mans hobby - not for those who can afford internet. Fighting cocks cover all gametes of financial status but I do not which to propagate anything to do with cock fighting.

One of my missions is to market designer chooks to wealthy Filipinas - to make it trendy to have a small fancy coop with small fancy chickens (enter the silkies and polish). In five years there will be lots of Filipinas on here instead of Facebook.
I have the most hilarious vision in my head of wealthy young Filipinas running around with fancy chickens while shopping like wealthy young American girls and a Chihuahua.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom