Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Just jumping in to Congratulate you on the adoption finalization, Oz!
I haven't been around much - crazy busy moving to a new micro-farm (2.7 acres). I don't have a Bernie, so I'm finishing the newest coop mostly by myself.
But - I'm so excited for you and Mrs. Oz!!!
celebrate.gif
I wonder just how many of us want a 'Bernie', if even only for a couple of days?
lol.png

Scott

I just wanna Bubba who can work a rake and a wheel barrow....
th.gif

deb

I have a few that can, just getting MY directions complete is an issue. Everyone has a nasty habit of thinking around here. Then I redo it all. Oh well.

Grats OZ. sounds like things working out as planned.

Again my plans went sideway. Turkey breeder was suppose to have oodles of eggs, counted before they hatched. 5 birds hatch and her kids claimed them so that fell thru. Can't get in contact with the retiring hen guy, so those girls are off my list. But wife searched CL and found some pullets we going to look at and maybe get 10-12 tomorrow evening (Her idea not mine) at $5/each.

Did realize I have 20 Rouen eggs in bator, (Duck laying new nest again starting today, hid better from me) added 13 meat crosses tonight and 1st pure BA egg (Hopefully of many).
Finally got my CX today. 1 was kinda weak earlier gonna check again on them before I go to bed. Seemed fine after I gave him some water. Hoping the do fine in brooder its in an open air coop with 3 heat lamps and mostly draft proof but been frosting at night and 65-80 daytime temps last couple weeks. If I have issues they going in garage whether wife is happy about it or not.

And might have a broody BPR (Lets all hope). Shifting my egg sales to neighbors and friends, restraunt guy getting under my skin. And warming up my bigger home made incubator if I get an overflow of eggs the next few days.

Seems to be working itself out but not exactly as planned. But ok with that.

I have a few that can, just getting MY directions complete is an issue. Everyone has a nasty habit of thinking around here. Then I redo it all. Oh well.

Grats OZ. sounds like things working out as planned.

Again my plans went sideway. Turkey breeder was suppose to have oodles of eggs, counted before they hatched. 5 birds hatch and her kids claimed them so that fell thru. Can't get in contact with the retiring hen guy, so those girls are off my list. But wife searched CL and found some pullets we going to look at and maybe get 10-12 tomorrow evening (Her idea not mine) at $5/each.

Did realize I have 20 Rouen eggs in bator, (Duck laying new nest again starting today, hid better from me) added 13 meat crosses tonight and 1st pure BA egg (Hopefully of many).
Finally got my CX today. 1 was kinda weak earlier gonna check again on them before I go to bed. Seemed fine after I gave him some water. Hoping the do fine in brooder its in an open air coop with 3 heat lamps and mostly draft proof but been frosting at night and 65-80 daytime temps last couple weeks. If I have issues they going in garage whether wife is happy about it or not.

And might have a broody BPR (Lets all hope). Shifting my egg sales to neighbors and friends, restraunt guy getting under my skin. And warming up my bigger home made incubator if I get an overflow of eggs the next few days.

Seems to be working itself out but not exactly as planned. But ok with that.
if you want to some of the people buying your eggs to stop, raise your price

a good customer will pay more

you don't need any who are not good :)

we picked up 6 CX from tractor supply yesterday along with 6 banty

we hatched out 20 buff orpingtons this week

most of those will be going to their new home in a couple more days

i don't really sell eggs i sell chicks

more money in it

instead of $3 for a dozen eggs

i can incubate them & get $5 per chick

i can also feed them for 8 weeks & sell the pullets for $10 each

the cockerels can get fattened up, then go off to "camp"

Last edited:
I took a bunch of eggs and chicks to the impromptu garage sale on the side of the road in my community. I sold all the eggs and half the chicks! I made about $80 and could have sold twice the eggs I took. The chicks, not so much. I sold the Blk Orps and some of the 3 week old EEs, but I ended up selling a box full of week olds for $5 to a man that gave me a board to make a sign and offered me a folding chair (I forgot to bring mine) then jumped my car off when it wouldn't crank! I really was just ready to be rid of them. I also sold four young cockerals to a hispanic family for $5 each. They were not big enough to process.....yet.

I took a bunch of eggs and chicks to the impromptu garage sale on the side of the road in my community. I sold all the eggs and half the chicks! I made about $80 and could have sold twice the eggs I took. The chicks, not so much. I sold the Blk Orps and some of the 3 week old EEs, but I ended up selling a box full of week olds for $5 to a man that gave me a board to make a sign and offered me a folding chair (I forgot to bring mine) then jumped my car off when it wouldn't crank! I really was just ready to be rid of them. I also sold four young cockerals to a hispanic family for $5 each. They were not big enough to process.....yet.
sounds like there may be a market there for live birds

Oooh I never thought of selling eggs at a garage sale..... EGGcellent.

A couple of years ago there was what looked like a Lemon aid stand.... You know the kind on the sidewalk with a kid in attendance. Wagon sitting by his chair with a bunch of bags in it. But when I passed The sign said HOMEGROWN Tomatoes.... OMG I went and bought a couple for a dollar a piece. When I went buy his mom was there with another Childs wagon load. And By then there were people hopping in and out of cars buying more than a couple. His mom had a huge grin on her face....

deb

Oooh I never thought of selling eggs at a garage sale..... EGGcellent.

A couple of years ago there was what looked like a Lemon aid stand.... You know the kind on the sidewalk with a kid in attendance. Wagon sitting by his chair with a bunch of bags in it. But when I passed The sign said HOMEGROWN Tomatoes.... OMG I went and bought a couple for a dollar a piece. When I went buy his mom was there with another Childs wagon load. And By then there were people hopping in and out of cars buying more than a couple. His mom had a huge grin on her face....

deb

Maybe my garden will put out enough this year to put the 6 year old to work
lol.png

That's awesome!

we have 50 tomato plants started in the living room

we had to plant all of our old seed from last season that was still unused

i guess we will have plenty to sell either out at the street or at the swaps over in Maine

Back
Top Bottom