Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

great post OZ
thumbsup.gif

great post OZ
thumbsup.gif
Thanks pig.

Your package is finally on its way. i needed the right packaging. i ended up with dry ice to keep it cool. i included a foam insert for the orp eggs.

It looks like I am going to have a good collection of orps one day. i have some lemon cuckoo and blues as well. One day we will have those big boys as well.

When does Mrs P get her official results?

Thanks pig.

Your package is finally on its way. i needed the right packaging. i ended up with dry ice to keep it cool. i included a foam insert for the orp eggs.

It looks like I am going to have a good collection of orps one day. i have some lemon cuckoo and blues as well. One day we will have those big boys as well.

When does Mrs P get her official results?
thanks for the fish, mrs piggy really wants some fish bad
i hope she doesn't OD on fish the 1st day they arrive :)))

oooh lemmon & blues too wow well done man!

well the test didn't go as planned :(
so it now looks like she will give the LPN exam a shot so she can atleast be working in the healthcare field
she was hitting the books hard for a YEAR but still fell short

oh well life goes on

how are the chooks?

pig

Last edited:
thanks for the fish, mrs piggy really wants some fish bad
i hope she doesn't OD on fish the 1st day they arrive :)))

oooh lemmon & blues too wow well done man!

well the test didn't go as planned :(
so it now looks like she will give the LPN exam a shot so she can atleast be working in the healthcare field
she was hitting the books hard for a YEAR but still fell short

oh well life goes on

how are the chooks?

pig
the exam is really tough on foreign grads. although they study in english, it makes a huge difference when its your first language. Tell her not to give up. A year as an LPN and just doing practice multichoice questions - all she can get her hands on - and she will have a good chance.

Tell her to enjoy the comfort food on its way

Hugs from the Oz family

the exam is really tough on foreign grads. although they study in english, it makes a huge difference when its your first language. Tell her not to give up. A year as an LPN and just doing practice multichoice questions - all she can get her hands on - and she will have a good chance.

Tell her to enjoy the comfort food on its way

Hugs from the Oz family
thanks OZ
maybe she needs to retake a few classes?
maybe an online class?

there were about 8 sections that she fell short on but not all
maybe 50% of the section were below passing
if it was EZ everyone would pass it the 1st time ....rite

got my new larger brooder better than 1/2 done
got to get a couple hinges for the door
& then install the heatlamp with dimmer
i don't want cooked chicks just warm chicks :)

take care
pig

I am loving the story.Glad the science project with the kids went so well.They are so excited about it....and your new avatar is Great!!!
thanks

having the kids go through the incubation then the chick delivery was great.

working on an avatar with golf bags as the bombs as suggested here.

www.thecrazychickenman.com should be up

[COLOR=B22222]here is my entry in the easter hatch-a-long short story competition. Less than 750 words on why you like hatching[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]The art, science and emotion of hatching eggs – and why I do it.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]A few months ago I had a revelation. I had several chickens, a rooster, two and a half acres of beach front property for them to forage - and no eggs! Then I thought about it some more. I always saw pretty chicks around but I had never eaten a home grown chicken. I had to ask myself what was going on?
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

a local boy. Pretty and proud

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Flash back in time – 1976 - I grew up on a farm. We had 1000 wool sheep, 100 plus beef cows, a few pigs, barnyard geese, turkeys, ducks and chickens. I had to milk cows, feed pigs and do a lot of fence repairs. I did not pay a lot of attention to the chooks. I just collected a few eggs each day, admired the odd chick and chased our nasty pit rooster away from my siblings every now and then.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Ok – so back to a few months ago. I decided that the best thing to do was to take all control of my chickens and simply collect the eggs and throw them in an incubator for the required amount of time and viola – chickens. My thought process then followed that if I had more chooks, then I would get more eggs. It was very logical to me.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]So I went on line. Amazon.com. Incubators. Wow – there are a few. Read reviews. Picked one. Checked out. Prime delivery.Two days later I have a bator in my bedroom.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Then I found BYC. I started to read and it seemed like there was more to this than I initially thought.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]I became fascinated. This was a science project!!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]I added a fan. I added a turner. I researched. I spent all night reading threads in the forums. I Googled white papers to verify information. I bought books. I downloaded PDF files. Anything I do, I do with gusto. This was going to be one of the things I do.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]So now, after thousands of hours of research and five hatches across two continents, I can now say I am a batorholic.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

my bators with a view

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Why do I like it so much? Hatching chicks is such a combination of art and science. You have to have just the right combination of precision and gut feeling. You need to know when to intervene and know when to keep your hands out. There is genetics, physics, biology, physiology, pharmacology wrapped up with a little psychology. The success of a hatch fills you with elation. Failures send you plummeting with disappointment.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Hatching eggs allows you to have breeds you could never think possible. Originally I had chicks that were closer to Jungle Fowl origin than the modern Western chicken. They laid few eggs and were constantly broody. Now I have layers, meaties and ornamentals. I have a spreadsheet of breeds that I want. I have discovered the heritage birds and fallen for them. Without hatching, the evolution would take a lifetime.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]Hatching chicks alone is fun, but sharing the emotional roller-coaster with others is even more rewarding. I have found another thing to recharge and maintain maintain my matrimonial bonds as my wife and I take the time to share the trials and tribulations of my current hatch or she plans ways to procure photos of the chicks I hatched that are now 7500 miles from here. I have something to share with my young children as they are fascinated with and adore baby chicks. I have employees seeing a human side to me as I share my crazy chicken stories with laughter and disbelief. Additionally, through hatching, I have been to meet-ups with other chicken people, and met the most amazing people across the globe via the internet. Some of these will become lifelong friends.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=222222][SIZE=14pt]I have had a lucky life in many ways. I have experienced many places and cultures. I have been on many fun and often wild adventures and I have always embraced and taken on new things. I never expected to take on hatching but now that I have, my life is more complete. I am truly grateful to those local chickens that have no interest in giving me breakfast.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Great post! And I am sure everyone would agree that no matter how we got into the life of "chicken lover" it becomes a love of life that keeps us going!

Great story Oz.

Just to make ya think about your list, here are some pics of Dark Cornish I have. Slow to mature but they came from England years ago also known as Indian Game. All hatchery stock

Here's the Roo

And here's the coloring of a hen

Side view of a hen

Right now smaller than the BR and RIR I have but very pretty and they are supposed to be pretty good at flock defense. Not so much in demand

And just for giggles here's Fred

Here's one of my EE Roo's

The other EE Roo

Back
Top Bottom