Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

thats a nice day's drive

My personal best is 40 hrs non stop (well with a second driver) to Niagara Falls. I drove back on my own. Left 9pm Friday and was at work by 7am Monday.

I did Tamworth NSW to Adelaide SA 1600km (995 miles) in 11 hours with stops when I was young and foolish. We picked up a hitch hiker in Broken Hill on the way back and dropped him off in Dubbo - 750km (470 miles) 4 1/2 hours later. Ahh to be young and immortal. Now days it would take me 11 hrs with stops.
i did something like that back about 25 years ago OZ
i was heading from south carolina to new hampshire (a 23 hour drive)
i picked up a hitch hiker in virginia & dropped him off in southern new hampshire
he was glad for the ride & i needed help staying awake

Mrs Oz woke me at 545 on a Sunday Morning with a whatsapp message saying that one of our 'scovies had 20 from 21 ducklings hatch.

Not bad on her first effort!

The other has 15 eggs I think.

Some roast duck in definitely on the menu in our future!!!
i hear duck is some good eating
droolin.gif

i did something like that back about 25 years ago OZ
i was heading from south carolina to new hampshire (a 23 hour drive)
i picked up a hitch hiker in virginia & dropped him off in southern new hampshire
he was glad for the ride & i needed help staying awake
we were travelling at 220km/hr (135mph) - he was so puckered up, he barely touched the seat.

Every time I start to tell the story of the ducks, I start laughing hysterically.It was like the"invasion of the ducks " and to think I was so excited when your father showed me his surprise in the back of the car.Two beautiful ducks.....

WAIT! years to recover, OZ why didn't you send Mom to my new thread! A wise woman ONCE said......
lau.gif

seriously I need to begin processing and am having emotional issues! How did you get through it? or did you grow up around that stuff?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-through-the-emotions-please/10#post_10941041
hey mum,

go tell sally its ok to eat what you kill.

remember the first pig?
lau.gif

I grew up on a 1000 acre sheep farm - but we moved there when I was 14. We were city slickers and never lived more than half a mile from the beach in Sydney.

Our first pig slaughter did not go well. Our first cow took us 9 hours before we could hang it.

Now I can punch the skin of a sheep in my sleep.

Talking about being young and foolish. I was even young.I seemed to be carried along with the enthusiasm of my crazy family.What a wonderful time we had.It is no surprise that your life has been so adventurous. When you became an expert on fertilizer, after being on the land for a few weeks I should have known.LOL.

Back
Top Bottom