Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Silkies and crosses of silkies can have 4 to 7 toes, but should have 5 toes. You should put up pictures of your new cuties Piglett.
big_smile.png

Here are some pictures of a f1 frizzled silkie aka sizzle, they tend to be just as broody as a silkie.

Good luck on the silkie eggs Oz.

here is 1 we hatch out last year

here i the daddy of that chick (the one in front)

and here is my best hens

she looks to be mixed with cochin

but i can't be sure

i'll have to get pics of the chicks that i got

Last edited:
As I understand it a sizzle is usually considered to be a silkie x cochin. Frizzle describes the feathers.

A bird that is described as a "frizzle" is usually a silkie x cochin with curly feathers due to one copy of the frizzle gene.

Obviously people have mixed birds so the description as it is used encompasses a broader usage,.

The gene for frizzle can be in any bird breed, so any bird can be frizzled like for example Tolbunts are very often frizzled. They would be a frizzled tolbunt.

2 copies of the frizzle gene causes a frazzle. Frazzles have very fragile poor quality feathers and look permanently like they have been horribly neglected. Not sure if they are also constitutionally weak as well. That is why 2 frizzles should not be bred together, as resulting frazzel chicks (1 in 4) are culls.

As I understand it a sizzle is usually considered to be a silkie x cochin. Frizzle describes the feathers.

A bird that is described as a "frizzle" is usually a silkie x cochin with curly feathers due to one copy of the frizzle gene.

Obviously people have mixed birds so the description as it is used encompasses a broader usage,.

The gene for frizzle can be in any bird breed, so any bird can be frizzled like for example Tolbunts are very often frizzled. They would be a frizzled tolbunt.

2 copies of the frizzle gene causes a frazzle. Frazzles have very fragile poor quality feathers and look permanently like they have been horribly neglected. Not sure if they are also constitutionally weak as well. That is why 2 frizzles should not be bred together, as resulting frazzel chicks (1 in 4) are culls.

Wow...
lol.png
That's.. confusing. I think I'll stick with my plain Jane LF.

We breed with two roosters that are straight or 'smooth" feathered but CARRY the frizzle gene, it took two gens for us to get them the way we wanted them, and they are over HarmonyAnns straights/smooths and frizzles to get optimum frizzling and the most frizzle chicks possible w/o getting frazzles aka extremes
Its pretty cool my kiddo understands alot more than I do about it!

frizzlepunnetsquarerh.jpg

Last edited:
That is interesting!

The frizzle gene is an autosomal incomplete dominant so I guess you could have a smooth bird that carries the gene. COOL!!!

Can you tell by looking at them which roos carry the gene but do not express it phenotypically/outwardly?

My silkieX F2 project birds with regular feathers were super soft if they carried the silkie gene so I knew which ones carried the gene.

Last edited:
i want silkie naked neck frizzles in paint color
eeeewww just sayin

I think I am going to sell my WFBS and try polish to add for HarmonyAnn's frizzle projects, her project it getting the best frizzles, she is doing awesome, and making some really cool tinies frizzle, they do loose the serama "maylay" type but they are still teeny tiny little headless chickens ha ha ha anyone suggest an NPIP breeder for frizzle polish that has good quality? message me if you do please!

This one is even molting and she is still a hilarious little handful!

This is a babes, they grow extremely fast!

Kiddo caught cacklin to her headless chickens

more she is growing out.... I swear she just hatched these girls!

[/TR] [TR] Crème Legbar [/TR] [TR] Mottled Houdan [/TR] [TR] Swedish Flower Hens [/TR] [TR] Banty Barred Rocks [/TR] [TR] New Hampshire Reds [/TR] [TR] Silver Laced Polish [/TR] [TR] Black Silkie [/TR] [TR] White Silkie [/TR] [TR] White Faced Black Spanish [/TR] [TR] Tolouse goose [/TR] [TR] Peafowl [/TR]
[TR] red bourbon turkey [/TR] [TR] black turkey [/TR] [TR] royal palm turkey [/TR] [TR] Rouin Duck [/TR]
When is your next trip.
have to find 3 cream legbars, 4 salmon favs, a speckled sussex and 3 swedish flower hens that were not labeled before beinf mixed with a stack of mutts
Crested CCL or EGG, 5 toes are faverolle
eeeewww just sayin I think I am going to sell my WFBS and try polish to add for HarmonyAnn's frizzle projects, her project it getting the best frizzles, she is doing awesome, and making some really cool tinies frizzle, they do loose the serama "maylay" type but they are still teeny tiny little headless chickens ha ha ha anyone suggest an NPIP breeder for frizzle polish that has good quality? message me if you do please! This one is even molting and she is still a hilarious little handful! This is a babes, they grow extremely fast! Kiddo caught cacklin to her headless chickens more she is growing out.... I swear she just hatched these girls!
Those are pretty cool looking

After two days of force feeding electrolyte water down the mouth of the boar, along with a shot of B Complex vitamins and the magic bullet of a single dose of oxytetracycline, Pig 21 is standing up and walking around.

We have increased his protein level to 30% to try and maximize his caloric intake.

It looks like he is going to make it.

I have no idea as to what caused his illness. No outward symptoms except weakness. It came on over 24 hrs.The antibiotic may have not been appropriate but I did not want to take the risk of waiting for him to get worse.

I am running a promotional "special" on my excess mutts:

A 'grab bag promo' for customers ordering trios;

6-10 week old straight run mix breed or excess pure breeds of my gardeners choice (the first ones he catches lol) but he will try and 'select' a good mix of colors. No requests and no breed ID tags. They could be blue or green egg layers with a hint of polish in their ancestory, Marans crosses producing dark eggs, pure barred rocks, orpingtons, andalusians, brown leghorns, naked necks, white rocks, jersey giants or a cross of any and all - only thing guaranteed is live birds and more likely crosses than pure breds.

They are ideal for a nice free range flock or developing a great hybrid cross with local chickens.

4 for P1000 ($25), 10 for P2000 ($50), 25 for P4000 ($100). 50 for P7500 ($187) 100 for P14000 ($350) plus the cost of shipping

Back
Top Bottom