Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Hi all.

Now that my interview is posted I am sure to get lots of people passing by so let's summarize the local events.

Last time Dominic was here he earned enough in copra sales to buy a buffalo. He sold that one not our Mozza. He sold their family cell phone - a four year old Nokia brick for rum not our smart phone.

I am sorry if I came across unsupportive of Ging. Just to expand a little to air the dirty laundry. We employed Ging when she was eight weeks from giving birth. We paid her a salary that's twice going rate. As she was not contributing to Phil health and this the birth was not covered. We paid for the delivery and had Dominic and Ging pay us back at $2.20 per month. It would take years to pay it back. For the next month we paid Ging maternity leave. We then came back to tiling and she only did light house duties. Dominic and Ging also received $250 in bonuses from the animal sales. They did not offer to use any of that for faster payment of their loan. If they offered I would have declined but I was disappointed that they did not offer.

We have covered their Phil health for another quarter so they have health coverage until the end of the year. By law we only had to start paying it after a year.

When you employ a couple it all in all out. Last time Ging pulled the trigger and Dominic had to go. That gave him eighteen months to develop the drinking problem he came back with but was kept in check by his wife controlling the purse.

As an employer I have to be even keeled. Personally I want to go and beat Dominic to an inch of his life for the abuse he has cast upon his family but that's only my mind not my actions. I am not nor ever have been violent.

The first rule as a supervisor or employer is that your subordinates or employees are not friends. I am a sap because I do develop fondness for them and want them to share in the accomplishments - both emotionally and financially.

I am here a few more weeks. I have time to sort things out. I may be as gimp with a bum leg but I can still scoop poop, bath pigs and hatch chicks. I can even put the goats back in their corral at the first sign of rain.

When you put yourself out there sometimes you get bloodied. The ability to dress the wound and stand up for the next round is what counts. Right now I feel like Manny Pacquio just took me on for a couple of rounds but the bell went off with me still standing and I have a brief pause to get my wind back. I don't know if he will finish me off but my will is still in the fight. Let's hope I win in a points decision.

Well said, Oz. It is truly frustrating when you feel you can see what's best for someone, but they, for whatever reason, are unable to share the vision.
he.gif
You are offering such a fantastic package deal there...great pay, chance to learn real marketable life skills, housing, etc. etc. Surely there is someone with the sense to recognize it. You have to kiss a number of frogs to find the prince.

After extensive negotiations Bernie says he will start Monday. Last time he and Analou left he said he would come back and train Dominic and work as a day laborer doing the construction of the piggery. Instead he left for Manila to be a drivers assistant.

Hopefully he will show up.

The kid told us yesterday he got a text from his mom to return home and then get on a ferry to care for his sick aunt.

I was going to fire him next week once Bernie started as I don't need two solo guys and he spent most of his day texting on his cell phone. Two single guys is a recipe for rum drinking nights.

We are still looking for a couple.

In the meantime I am scooping poop and feeding chickens

After extensive negotiations Bernie says he will start Monday. Last time he and Analou left he said he would come back and train Dominic and work as a day laborer doing the construction of the piggery. Instead he left for Manila to be a drivers assistant.

The kid told us yesterday he got a text from his mom to return home and then get on a ferry to care for his sick aunt.

I was going to fire him next week once Bernie started as I don't need two solo guys and he spent most of his day texting on his cell phone. Two single guys is a recipe for rum drinking nights.

I do wish you all the luck I can send you!!
Scott

hope the employee drama works out for the best. At the barn here I used to board my horse there was a steady turnover of guys. Only a couple were there for any length of time and they had families which they needed to feed

Do you suppose that Rolito would have any advice you could use.? He lives there doesn't he? Was he born there.

Greetings

I have been a bit tied up. Lots of rain today. The goats got ****** off because I did not get them inside fast enough so that are cussing me in chorus lol.

The brooders have been cleaned. Pigs and most of the chickens feed. I made curry for lunch and Mrs Oz is of the collect the kids and nannies from kabankalan. I can't wait to see them.

I took a break and passed out for an hour. I reckon I will be falling asleep fairly quickly this evening.

Off to feed the rest of the chooks ducks and guinea fowl.

Rollitp certainly grew up nearby but he has not been around since Christmas. I am not sure what advice you want him to offer as I am sure he has had similar experiences with help. My wife also grew up here.

We have plenty of single guys wanting a job but a group of single guys will turn into a drunken mess. Tanduay Rum Distillery is the oldest company in the Philippines for a reason. A 375 ml bottle of 45% alcohol liquor can be had for the same price as a kilo of rice. A full bottle is just $1.20.

The search for a couple is developing. The issue is that normally when you hire domestic help you need to know somebody who knows their family so they are less likely to pilfer.

Its better to wait a bit. We expanded the net this morning.

Single guys without dependents can be your worst nightmare as employees
lol.png
Someone who basically works for 'fun money' can quit whenever they feel the fun has been running low. And when the money part runs out, they look for a new job. Ramen noodle (or rice, in this case) and booze bachelors
tongue.png

Climbing the ladder wih that sort of attitude doesn't work. But when you work as a laborer.. it's all fair game.

We awoke to a good start.

Bernie is scheduled to start Monday.

We have a new couple starting today on a week trial.

Its 7 am and I have moved the chickens from the grow out pen with the leaking roof and have plans to replace it with three coops. The other four new coops are 30% complete.

We have two extra guys for two days to get the grounds in order so the new couple won't be overwhelmed. They are picking up every twig branch and piece of junk.

The place is looking good.

Off to feed pigs

Back
Top Bottom