getting them back in the henhouse

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msshepherdess, Sep 20, 2007.

1. msshepherdess

msshepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Early in the summer a raccoon got in the henhouse and ate 2 of my babies. It scared everyone else so bad that they've been sleeping in the trees all summer. We've patched the holes, but most of them (the younger ones) still won't come in to sleep, much less lay. Any suggestions?

2. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    can you gather them all just before they go to bed and put them in the coop just to show them it is new and improved and they will be safe? maybe a few nights of this they will get the idea?
    good luck

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Or make them stay in their coop for a few days, then they know it is safe again.

Kind of like re-training them.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Taking them off the roost at night if possible, and placing them in the new home for a minimum of 2 weeks is the key to teaching them where home is. If you you can manage one or two a night till they all are home, and then give the flock a 2 week period together without freedom will work.
    If treats to trick them in works then do that.
    Two weeks in the new home will work, however a couple of days is a waste of time, in my opinion....

bigzio

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I agree that you're just going to have to put them in the coop and keep them there, temporarily. I would also try to rearrange things a bit inside, so it looks different to them. Maybe give them some of their favorite treats while they're in there, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by