getting them back in the henhouse

msshepherdess

Chirping
15 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Early in the summer a raccoon got in the henhouse and ate 2 of my babies. It scared everyone else so bad that they've been sleeping in the trees all summer. We've patched the holes, but most of them (the younger ones) still won't come in to sleep, much less lay. Any suggestions?

can you gather them all just before they go to bed and put them in the coop just to show them it is new and improved and they will be safe? maybe a few nights of this they will get the idea?
good luck

Taking them off the roost at night if possible, and placing them in the new home for a minimum of 2 weeks is the key to teaching them where home is. If you you can manage one or two a night till they all are home, and then give the flock a 2 week period together without freedom will work.
If treats to trick them in works then do that.
Two weeks in the new home will work, however a couple of days is a waste of time, in my opinion....

bigzio

I agree that you're just going to have to put them in the coop and keep them there, temporarily. I would also try to rearrange things a bit inside, so it looks different to them. Maybe give them some of their favorite treats while they're in there, too.

Back
Top Bottom