Getting them back in the hutch....the trick was Swiss Chard

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sam The Yam, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    My chicks are about 3 weeks or so old now and so I have been letting them out into their run that is attached to the hutch I have been using as their brooder. I made a sliding door in the side of the hutch and let them out in the mornings and evenings. I have had swiss chard growing in my garden from last fall that has become quite tall. I will pick some and feed it to them and they absolutely love it. So recently when I went out to put them in for the night, I normally would have to get into the small run to catch them and put them in, but then thought about luring them in with swiss chard. So I picked a few leaves and put it near the doorway so they could see it. It didn't take them long to discover that their treat was up in the hutch so they came up on the ramp and into the door and before you knew it they were all in the hutch and I was able to slide the door down and had them secure for the night. It worked out great!

Also, it is so fun to watch them when I let them out. I need to capture it on video. I open up the door, which immediately has a ramp for them to walk down. But they don't walk down, they take off like they are airplanes taking off. Then they start chasing each other, getting the bugs, taking dirt baths, and having a great time. It is really fun to watch them.

Here is the hutch and run with their door and take off ramp!

[​IMG]

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    You definitely need to get a vdeo of that. I imagine that it is hilarious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by