getting them to "like" me : P

twiggyzafox

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
hi all, i got 2 3-4 month old cayuga/pekin almost 3 weeks ago and am wondering whats the easiest way to get them used to me?? i talk to them several times a day and get on the ground and feed them treast but they still bolt when i come near them cheers : )

Consistency in your routine and patience. Find out what kind of foods they really like and say something fun and cute like "ducks ducks ducks" when coming out to see them. Try to converse with them, when they speak to you, say something back. Eventually they will realize you are trying to communicate and bond with them.

thank you : ) i have 3 chooks aswell and the ducks have worked out already when i yell "chook, chook, chook" it means food lol when they are walking around quacking i quack back at them, sounds like i might be doing the right thing, thanks again appreciate it : ) how long would it normally take for them to a least trust me do you think?

It's entirely dependent on the individuals as well as what experiences they've been through. If they have a reason to mistrust humans, it'll take longer.
Some ducks will never tolerate being pet or held, but will stop running away from you. Hopefully you have some social and friendly ducks in there :) at the very least, you'll be "the one who brings food." lol

i met the "parents" and they seemed quite nice, asked me to keep them updated so i think they are ok in that department, ill just keep trying lol and will be happy enough if they dont run away and i can get closer than 3 feet to them : P

I talk to my ducks making duck noises
tongue.png

we raised them from 3 day old ducklings, we could hold them, cuddle them etc and they wouldn't object.
But once they got put outside at a couple of weeks old, they started to object to being handled. They also started running away from us everytime we approached them. But now they are big enough to get in out of the bath & pool themselves and happily exit their coop when the door is opened and we can herd them back in again, we don't need to pick them up. And ever since we stopped trying to pick them up, they have become a lot closer and comfortable with us again. We can hand feed them, they nibble our toes and preen my legs!

Back
Top Bottom