Getting to know you

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Henriettasmum, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Henriettasmum

Henriettasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi guys, I have been posting to BYC for about 12 months now - just a newbie to this site and just a bit longer as a chicken lover. In fact all things feathered are welcome at my home so long as they behave themselves. I an 72 years old, a bit decrepit these days but my birds give me a lot of enjoyment. My husband is disabled but he can help me build shelters and enclosed runs for the birds, which I'm sure he loves every bit as much as I do. I started with just 2 Australorp hens for the eggs, but I have since discovered that even doing this is the ruination of our previous lives. We become a little mad and the flock grows ... and grows ... and grows. At the moment, I think I have over 50 birds. Far too many of them are roosters but I love them too much to get rid of them. I'm scared someone will want to eat them!

I love in Far North Queensland, Australia, on the top of a mountain on the Atherton Tablelands. Great weather. Even though we are in the tropics (150 kms from Cairns) the winters get a bit of a nip to the air. Southerners from Sydney and Melbourne think we're crazy when we say at 20 degrees Celsius that we are really feeling the cold.

I look forward to getting more involved and posting many more comments; and learning. I hope to get to know more members as time goes on.

Cheers for now.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. "Getting to know you" - I recall the song, but can't remember which musical / film it came from (and it will be going around in my tiny mind for the next few hours, I'm sure [​IMG]). It sounds like you have been bitten well and truly by the chicken maths bug, which is no bad thing.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your country thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

All the best
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Keeping chickens sure does bring lots of enjoyment and are good for the mind! Sounds like you have a ever growing flock there, men too hit about 50 last year when I went a bit mad on the incubating :oops: I have managed to trim it down though to about 20 now, much to my other halfs relief. The garden really could not take any more!!

Good luck with your flock in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Henriettasmum

Thanks. I certainly enjoy my lot. I have been enjoying BYC for a while and learning a lot too. I hope to continue my education about chickens in the future. Cheers.

5. Henriettasmum

Thanks for the advice. It would be interesting being in touch with other breeders in my area so I will check out that link.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G'day and Welcome to Backyard chickens.

8. Henriettasmum

Hi Drumstick Diva. I notice you are "out to pasture". Me too, if we are on the same page! I am 72, a retired freelance journo/author, and now devoted to my beautiful feathered babies. I still write the occasional article in magazines and have a few books on the market (hubby and I spent over 30 years on the water, cruising Australia and S.E. Asia in our 43 foot sailing catamaran so all my writing is related to yachting.) We still have the boat but now live on the top of a mountain in Far North Queensland - so different to our previous life. But we both love it and are very attached to all our feathered family members. I am enjoying BYC very much and hope to make a lot of friends here. Cheers Rosemary

9. Henriettasmum

Me too!!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Well you certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Wow, Australia! I would love to travel there some day. Maybe once I don't have hoards of birds to care for. Ha!

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by