Getting two Polish Chickens! Any tips for caring for them?

My polish rooster is attacking me. Only me. Not the kids just me. I startled him one morning on accident and ever since he has been following me waiting for me to separate from the herd and then he comes after me. I’m going to find him a home along with his hen. He is so little I worry I will injure him with my boot if he keeps coming for me.

My polish rooster is attacking me. Only me. Not the kids just me. I startled him one morning on accident and ever since he has been following me waiting for me to separate from the herd and then he comes after me. I’m going to find him a home along with his hen. He is so little I worry I will injure him with my boot if he keeps coming for me.
Yeah. I would rehome him too.

Yeah. I would rehome him too.
I have such a problem with roosters. My neighbors got sick of their chickens eating their vegetables so they dropped me off a big black rooster named bob along with four hens. Big bob has been friendly so far but he’s about knee height to me and he’s a couple years old and I’m hoping for the best with him. He seems to be good at his job keeping all the ladies in the yard. Maybe my polish rooster is just too little for my big egg layers.He separates himself a lot with his hen and the small black hen that came with them and he’s very protective of them. Maybe he sees me as the rooster of another flock.

My polish cockerel is the most protective of his group of girls of all my cockerels. If I pick any of "his" girls up he is immediately on alert and will work his way closer and closer to me with his eyes on me the whole time, but sneakily like he doesn't want me to know he's watching me haha. When one of the girls tries to get away (they're nervous young pullets who I'm gently trying to get used to being handled) he gets agitated and will rush toward us, but he's too terrified of me still to make a move - yet. I'm watching him and working carefully to train him well...but I also think there's a good chance he might need to go once he's a bit more grown up. It's a hard balance to strike, because I definitely appreciate his commitment to protecting the girls, but he needs to know that a) I'm not hurting them and most importantly b) I rule the roost around here, not him.

My polish cockerel is the most protective of his group of girls of all my cockerels. If I pick any of "his" girls up he is immediately on alert and will work his way closer and closer to me with his eyes on me the whole time, but sneakily like he doesn't want me to know he's watching me haha. When one of the girls tries to get away (they're nervous young pullets who I'm gently trying to get used to being handled) he gets agitated and will rush toward us, but he's too terrified of me still to make a move - yet. I'm watching him and working carefully to train him well...but I also think there's a good chance he might need to go once he's a bit more grown up. It's a hard balance to strike, because I definitely appreciate his commitment to protecting the girls, but he needs to know that a) I'm not hurting them and most importantly b) I rule the roost around here, not him.
Yes mine is always watching me too but trying to be sneaky about it! He watches me from far away he comes at me when I’m alone or I have my back turned. If I didn’t have small kids I would think about correcting it but I’m not risking it. He can’t hurt me but my two year old would be at risk.

I had to discipline my rooster. I had my 2 yr old grandson with me in pen and Butch decided to attack. I was holding my grandson thank goodness and I kicked him in the booty very hard. He went about his business and hasn't tried again. Now everytime I talk to my grandson he laughs and says Mema kicked that chicken in the booty. Lol.
May have to give him a good hard kick to the butt.

Yes, I have a two year old and a three year old too who both help in the coop. I make them carry around toddler sized metal rakes to tap the ground if they need to - and the cockerels I have still are terrified of my kids! We have done our best to train them properly from the start. However, I keep a one-strike rule. If a cockerel shows any extreme aggression towards me, my kids or the hens, they're out of the coop. I've already processed five boys out and I've got two (maybe three if I can ever tell what the silkie is, haha) left in our flock. We keep chickens only for eggs and pets so we have no need for roosters except that I love my accidental boys and if they stay cool I'm happy to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom