Getting unsold veggies?

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
Does anyone go to their local supermarket and get their veggies and fruit that cannot be sold but are still good for their chicks? I also thought about the "day old bread store" Any thoughts?

there are a rew stores that will allow me to take the "day olds" 1 store charges me a minimal amount for them, another one gives it to me for free, and another refuses saying its against the law to give or sell produce that is "on the way out" for consumption but i have explained that its for chickens..he asked what do they do with it i said eat it he said its against the law...
lau.gif
and thats just for produce

I only give my hens the "butts" of the bread no one else will eat them...

they only get those "treats" about 2 days a week...

Last edited by a moderator:
I grow produce and sell it to some roadside produce markets. I feed my birds anything I can't sell or give away or use myself. They love it. There are pics on my BYC Page.

We get outdated produce from a local grocery store and the produce stand at the local farmers market. We also get out of date bread a a local bakery.

The chickens love it as well as the donkeys, goats, calves, goats and pigs. the pigs are so spoiled they will turn their noses up at regular pig feed. I gave pig a live fish the other day after a fishing trip she loved it

Jim

There was thread about this on here somewhere not too long ago.

We raid the dumpsters here in town, we get all kinds of friuts, veggies, breads, donuts, cakes, pies, meats, cheese, you name it, and my birds just love it, they go crazy when they see ya coming with a box of that stuff. The store wont save it for ya, they wont sell it to ya. Some places it is illegal to get it out of the dumpster. This store says I can get it out, but they dont want to know that Im doing it. Its a shame what they trow away.

When I worked for Tyson food, we made taco shells and flat bread, they used to throw trackor trailor loads of food away every day, they said that they sent it to other Tyson farms to feed to the pigs, but Ive seen the trucks going and coming from the local landfill, so I wonder if they really did feed it to the pigs.

I have asked a couple of times about this at our local grocery stores. None of them will do it. The problem is that they "guarantee" that their produce is fresh or you can return it for double. They have had trouble in the past by giving it away and then the person going to another store and returning it.
he.gif
So, because of that, they won't give it away, they have to throw it away. It sure bothers when when 1 bad apple ruins the bunch!

Back
Top Bottom