Getting used to fermented grains

oguzakyuz

Songster
6 Years
May 28, 2017
Hi All,

I started feeding my chicken fermented grains after reading so much about their benefits. The problem is my flock of 6 hens do not seem to enjoy it as much as I hoped they would. The feed smells so good to me even I feel like eating it. I give them about a cup each morning and most of it remains in their tray at the end of the day. It has only been 3 days now.

How do I get my flock used to eating fermented feed? Should I prevent access to the dry grains during this period so they are forced to eat it or starve to death?

Thanks for any help,
Oguz

What is their usual feed ration? Are you using pellets or crumble? Or just grains? When I start chicks on fermented feed (if they are not on FF immediately after hatch) I sometimes sprinkle some of their dry crumble on top of the FF. Birds are resistant to change, even a change in texture or moisture content. So, putting dry on top of the moist might be your best option. Otherwise, take away the dry, and they will be forced to try the wet!

I am just using grains. I will try blocking their regular dry grains and see if that works. I am sure that they are not so stupid to starve when there is fermented feed out there. It really smells nice :).

Back
Top Bottom