Getting wings clipped

Brittanyluvsherduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
So I have never had a duck before, this is my first her name is Claire and I just love her to pieces. I am taking her to get her wings clipped tomorrow because she has been flying off lately, I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to transport her without causing her to much panic or getting hurt or something. also i have been looking into diapering her for the winter...basically I just need some duck advice
smile.png

Quote:
a cat carrier with some straw in the bottom should work perfectly for transporting her. If you can find one with a top opening it might be easier to get her in and out without a fuss. Of course, wind trims are fairly straightforward and you can do this at home. I trim up all my flyers by myself but you could always have someone hold the bird for you too. Here's a good video of a parrot getting clipped... all wings are basically the same:

you do not need to take her anywhere to get her wings clipped. You can do it yourself with a sharp pair of scissors. We have done it many times with chickens and ducks.

I'm taking her to my friends house. She had a parrot once and says she knows how to clip wings. Im to nervous I dont want to like, hurt her. Im worried she will get mad at me. But it needs to be done. I live in michigan and its getting colder I dont want her trying to migrate on her own,

A dog/cat crate or even just a box will work. Make sure you put something in the bottom for traction, towel, straw etc. If you are using something open, like a crate you can put a towel or sheet over it so that it is darker. She will feel more comfortable if it is dark.

If you feel better having your friend clip her wings thats fine. Pay attention to what and how she is doing it and you can try next time. Remember, only 1 wing and you'll need to clip again after she molts.

Quote:
It'll keep her off balance so she can't fly away. Some folks like to clip one wing and some like to clip both... if she's a light duck she might still be able to "fly" short distances and maybe over fences if both wings are clipped but not if you only do one.

we've had some fly when both wings are clipped, well enough to get over 4 1/2 ft fences. we've never had one with just one wing clipped fly out of the pen. it's definitely the balance... you'll see them get a little air and then they start to roll a little and curve to one side and then quickly get themselves back on the ground. no directional control. with both clipped, they have to work a lot harder, but airborne can still be done, especially if they're light.

Back
Top Bottom