Gfunk1127's 4x8 coop thread

:frow From Moore County.

In our climate MAXIMUM ventilation is a must.

Here are my articles on hot climate chicken keeping and on coop ventilation:

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

We are only wanting about 6 birds.

Here are the guidelines for 6 chickens:
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
One excellent option for a hot climate coop is to create it as an Open Air coop -- which is essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward end.

It's not only superior in a hot climate, it's less expensive to build. :)

Lets chuck an update up here. Since the weather was and is calling for rain for the next 7 days I wanted to go ahead and drop it in its location. And since I had framed the two main walls I just decided to get them up as well.
towards the pond.jpg

All five of them. If you look real closely you can see wall separating the storage area from the main coop area.

Coop walls storage view 1.jpg

I ended up placing one of my plywood sheets to the backwall to be cut out later.
One sheet temporarily went on top for at least some weather protection.

Next up are to get some hurricane ties and a palm nailer to add to my collection of new toys...TOOLS.

Back
Top Bottom