Giant Broody Hen

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
So, my Splash English Orpington is the biggest hen I've ever seen. She weighs 15 pounds, and each of her dinosaur toes are as thick as a dime. I really hope she goes broody this year, because she could easily fit a dozen eggs under her and therefore I'd buy some nice hatching eggs to have her hatch. My question is, do EO go broody often? Also, if any of you have had a broody EO hen, include pics! I just love these puffy monster chickens! :love

There's never any guarantees, but it should be likely. Give her a place conducive to brooding and see. That would be somewhere dark and private, preferably a decent sized nest box with a curtain on the front that you could pick up and move, and load it up with fake eggs. If you make a special box like that and she chooses to brood in it, it would be handy because she'd be easy to move, eggs and all, after dark, to her own separate pen. Could even put a handle on top. If she bites, I'd let her sit a few days, then swap in your eggs and let her go another few days, then move after dark, just to make sure she's committed and doesn't change her mind.

She’s a little dirty but still beautiful.

Attachments

• 3A016C5E-C2CB-4FB2-A3D5-53D3ADE8CDB2.jpeg
    3A016C5E-C2CB-4FB2-A3D5-53D3ADE8CDB2.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom