Giant egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lhousesoccer, Jan 8, 2011.

1. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    So far, all our eggs have been pretty normal. We started with our first flock this past spring, and got our first eggs in October. We've never seen one like this before though! The photos don't do it justice. It's just massive, not only in height, but in girth and weight too! Haven't cracked it open yet.

By the way, that "fact" that chickens slow down their egg laying in winter? My chickens missed that day in chick school. I have 11 chickens: 1 brown leghorn, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 buff orpington, 1 barred rock, 1 black australop, 2 light brahmas, 2 golden laced wyandottes, and 2 rhode island reds. It's cold and snowy here in Vermont, and they're still giving us 11 eggs a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

We also get an occassional giant egg. Our largest so far was 4.3 oz. It was huge and only had 1 yolk!

3. crazy4chix

crazy4chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    I bet it has two yolks!

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG] Me too! So far this week we've been getting 7/7 or 6/7 [​IMG] And cool egg! Post a pic when you crack it open =P

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Mine just slowed down last week - had been getting 8 to 10 a day - now I'm getting 2. I use lights too!

6. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    I'm a newbie to Chickens too, and this is my first flock.
    Here's our one "big egg" that one of the "girls" laid a couple months ago.
    havent had any abnormally large ones since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ouch! I always feel sorry for the hens when I see those ones. That's gotta sting... [​IMG]

8. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have a "mutt" hen...don't have a clue what she comes from...who lays jumbo eggs every day. I can't find cartons that they will fit in...even the jumbos. I sometimes wonder if she is part duck.LOL AND...she has laid an egg every day except for 2 for just over a year now. She is one laying machine!! I wonder sometimes which type of chicken she comes from that gives this size eggs.

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's pretty exciting to get those monster eggs isn't it? You have some pretty eggs. As for your hens not slowing down -- all the breeds you listed as having are production birds. On average chickens overall will slow down in winter, meaning some will stop entirely -- some of the ornamentals and more delicate breeds, whereas production birds, such as what you have are simply laying machines. Enjoy.

Jenny

10. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    Quote:Wow! That's even bigger than my "jumbo" egg I think. Yours is a monster! I haven't cracked it open yet. Will post when I do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by