1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

giant egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luke72, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Luke72

Luke72 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got this wierd looking, giant egg yesterday... should I be worried?

2. Odem0409

Odem0409 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I got a couple of those from a broiler i had bought from a hatchery dealer.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think you need to be worried. Sometimes hens get a little off of their regular egg laying cycle or an egg takes longer to go through the oviduct. I would not be surprised if that egg has two yolks in it. If you have a suspicion of which hen might have laid the egg it might not hurt to keep an eye on her, because some hens just have a tendency to lay those large eggs more often than others. That could increase the risk of becoming egg bound at some point (egg stuck in vent or oviduct.) But apparently the hen in question laid this big egg with out much problem.

4. Campngolf

Campngolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Not as worried as the girl who laid it. That is a bigun.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Those giant eggs happen from time to time. I've had a couple triple yolkers before. As already said that is probably a double yolk egg.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW!! That could be a triple yolker or a shelled egg in an egg.

7. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    OMG! I would wonder about the hen that laid that HUGE egg, Id keep an eye out as something that large could make for a prolapse, or future egg laying problems.

8. BarnChickyOO

BarnChickyOO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    No, you shouldn't be worried at all.;)

Are they new layers? Mine layed eggs like that for a few months after they started, and now they're mostly normal. But I do get the "odd egg" every once in a while. :)

9. ChickensInHugo

ChickensInHugo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    Hugo, MN
    I just had a hen lay a giant egg, and a search led me to this thread. the picture doesn't do it justice, but here it is:

[​IMG]

10. pnutj58

pnutj58 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Wow! That first one is really, really big. Did it get used? Did it have multiple yolks?

I did a search about giant eggs on the forums because Hilary gave me one today. She usually lays slightly longer and narrower eggs than Tillie, but nothing like this. This is a normal egg at the top and Hilary's giant one at the bottom. She doesn't seem to be any worse for the work of laying that thing. But, I was worried and wondered if it was "normal." Apparently it's not uncommon, so I'll just keep and eye on her and hope she doesn't do that again.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by