GIANT HEAD WOUND need help asap

Vyraal

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Southern California
Hey needed a catchy title sorry, my rooster has been shredded pretty badly and i need to know if theres anything i can do for him. Already super glued the wound shut and hes....ok, but i dont know what else to do.

Last edited:
Ouch that looks painful. I'm so sorry. You will need to keep him seperate from other chickens as they see red and they go cannibal. You could give him mashed up cooked egg with a little plain regular yogurt in with his feed. Regular Neosporin without pain killer can be used on wounds. Keep him quite and warm. Antibiotics can be added to his water. Hope he heals quickly. Good Luck.

Thank you very much, hes actually doing a lot better now that hes alone in my room and a stable temp. Alert, but not active per say. WIll be letting him sleep in my room for his entire recovery, and hopefully he'll make it through all this. Yogurt and eggs seems to be the food of the day over here. XD

Glad to hear he is doing better. Protein and calcium with digestive help is always good. I've helped many injured animals recover over the years. Some have been domestic, some wildlife. A old farmers method is mixing raw egg with whiskey and a bit of karo syrup/sugar water to pull a animal through from shock after bad injury. These are things normally that are on hand, yogurt - not so much back then. I wouldn't recommend raw eggs to be given to chickens as they may then turn into egg eatters after. It wouldn't take much whiskey to make a chicken feel better. lol Sugar water is just for a bit of perk-up energy. Good Luck.

That looks awful but don't get discouraged. I had a muscovy hen that had been torn apart by a dog, there was actually guts showing on her back and i could see her esophagus through a rip in her neck. I rushed her to my Vet and he told me "keep her clean and put this on her wounds daily" he gave be a tube of Animax Ointment. goopy yellow stuff that I applied generously over every open wound. She fully revovered and looked amazing when she grew back in all of her feathers, you would never know how mangled she was.

If you have a vet and are able to get ahold of the stuff I highly reccomend it, i think it'll really help your guy. (didn't cost much either)

Dont have a vet locally that deals with chickens, but honestly he seems to be doing MUCH better than before, his large wound is sealed with superglue, and his smaller ones will be dabbed the neosporin like stuff i can remember the name of, and he tried to eat a little, but his neck is stiff and hard to move well.

I've used hydrogen peroxide to keep all wounds on my chickens and other farm animals clean, its really good at cleaning out the infection.

I have heard of this 'miracle' blue spray, works amazing but too pricy for me. Should be available at the local feed store.

Hope he feels better soon!

Mine doesn't deal with chickens either. he works out of his home and has his own flock he doesn't want to accidentally infect. he is pretty nice about helping me out if i need something for an injured bird though. never hurts to ask.

do you know how he got ripped open? the stiffness in his neck could be from infection setting in. did you disinfect/clean the wound before sealing it up? if not you may have trapped some bacteria in there by accident. Super glue is generally used to seal up wounds that have enough skin left to pull together to close it up, then the glue is put on to hold the skin together.

The stiffness is from the glue being in the place it is, right on the area where he bends, and yes i attempted to clean the wound a bit, boy did he hate that! Hes been eating some of the scratch i put in his temp home last night because i needed to sleep, so hes feeling at least a little better, hasnt tried to crow which is good, dont know what that would due to his neck.

Back
Top Bottom