• Other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
I'm trying to decide how I want to start this project and need a little help from genetics folks. We have Lavender Orps that we would like to breed to exhibition quality Black Cochin LF birds.

Should be breed a Cochin male to Orpington females or vice versa? Would it really matter?

ANY advice is greatly appreciated since this is our first time working on a project. I just have this vision of a huge Lavender Cochin stuck in my head.
droolin.gif

F1 generation will be Black Split Lavenders, correct?

Last edited:
I have heard that offspring tend to resemble the mother in type- so I'd go with cochin moms. It would also be easier to get a lavender roo than a hen!
F1s will be black/split. Oooooh- keep us posted!
droolin.gif

Quote:
Well, I already have both. I have more Lavenders than Cochins.
wink.png
I have a bunch of roos for each and just trying to decide who should go and who should stay. I've got everything set up and just need advice on the details. It's going to take a while and a lot of culling, but I want to try!

Last edited:
Honestly- I bet this will be easier than the bantams that were crossed with D'uccles. Orps are already nice & big & fluffy. You just have to work on the legs. Yay- I can't wait to see your progress!

I don't think it matters either way because in the 2nd generation you are going to want to breed the siblings to hold on to some resemblance of giant cochin, to bring the feather legged back on and to regain pure yellow skin. I would do it both ways, so you have two lines going. Then cross the F1 lines or track the lines closely and cross them later.

Yes, F1s will be all black splits (visual black, carrying a single copy of the lav gene).

Thanks! I have both Lav Orps and Blk Cochins growing out now. Once they start breeding, I'll hatch some eggs and see what results I get. It's going to take some time, but I want my Lavender Cochins!

Back
Top Bottom