Giant Poop - What is the reason or purpose?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oven Ready, May 25, 2010.

1. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Songster

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    All our hens (free ranging Japanese Bantams) do a giant, stinky poop two days after their first chick hatches. It's rare for many more to hatch after two days but sometimes the hen will continue to sit on the eggs and the next day or even two or three days later another chick appears.
    Regardless of whether they manage to get all chicks out on day one or string it out over a week, they all do a massive poop on the second day.

We've got two theories

1. We've noticed that quite often the new chicks will eat some, but not all, of the poop. Is this some way of ensuring that the chicks will have something (yuk!) to eat while the hen waits for more to hatch.

2. Although they do come off the eggs every day, before any chicks appear, perhaps they don't poop much because they seem to shut their bodies down while incubating, does their digestive systems shut down and this giant poop signals the start of normal life for the hen again as she should be moving about normally looking for food for herself and the chicks?

I've searched on the internet and can't find any decent links other than people posting giant poop pictures (not all of them from chickens !)

Does anyone know the real reason or purpose to the monster poops?

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    everyday while incubating, when they get off the nest to eat and drink, the should have a giant poop. maybe you miss those events when they occur. the more feed they get the smellier [​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Broody splort looks like a small dog got into the coop and took a dump [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's the 2nd one. Their bodies simply don't act normally while they're broody, so they kind of stock-pile poop instead of pooping every 10 minutes like they usually do. I'm sure it's a huge (no pun intended) relief to them when it happens...lol. [​IMG]

5. beth59

beth59 In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Oooooh, yes, I saw this happen to our broody after I made her get up for a few minutes. Truly nasty.

6. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    [​IMG] OMG!! I'm so glad you posted this!! I have found two such piles of poop and wondered what the heck was going on. [​IMG] My wife said it looks like a dog got in the run. Glad to know it was my brooding hen. [​IMG]

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have 7 broody hens.
    My runs look like I breed Cocker Spaniels [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: