Giant turkeys

Rosdez31

Songster
Jan 24, 2019
Washington state
I just want a couple pet turkeys but they keep coming out too big. My Tom was 65 lbs and died suddenly at a year. His mate is chilling at 45 lbs they were broad breasted. I bought 3 heritage breed chicks all male all are closer to 35 lbs. I don't feed corn they get lots of free range time why are these guys Soo big. Many of my chickens are stunted so WTF I just want healthy guys in the yard .

Heritage shouldn't get that big. Broad breasted aren't meant to live long or reproduce naturally. What heritage breeds have you had?

Turkeys are meant to be big. Maybe get some sexed poult females. They're a little smaller than the toms. My hen is around 5 or 6 and very healthy. Holland white. I have a narragansett tom. He's very big, around 3 years and healthy.

I just want a couple pet turkeys but they keep coming out too big. My Tom was 65 lbs and died suddenly at a year. His mate is chilling at 45 lbs they were broad breasted. I bought 3 heritage breed chicks all male all are closer to 35 lbs. I don't feed corn they get lots of free range time why are these guys Soo big. Many of my chickens are stunted so WTF I just want healthy guys in the yard .
Do not buy broad breasted turkeys for pets. They are developed to grow fast and be processed by the time they are 6 months.

Feed your heritage turkeys an all flock or flock raiser feed. Allow them to have lots of exercise.

Turkeys are meant to be big. Maybe get some sexed poult females. They're a little smaller than the toms. My hen is around 5 or 6 and very healthy. Holland white. I have a narragansett tom. He's very big, around 3 years and healthy.
I am not aware of anyone selling sexed heritage poults unless they are at least 4 months old.

Oh sorry. I assumed they came sexed from hatcheries. I've only bought them local.
The only hatchery that I know that routinely sells sexed poults is Valley of the Moon Turkeys which are selling broad breasted turkeys in commercial amounts. Sometimes Cackle will have a special on sexed poults when their suppliers are replacing their brood stock. That only happens every two or three years. It is not normal to be able to get sexed poults from any other hatcheries.

The only hatchery that I know that routinely sells sexed poults is Valley of the Moon Turkeys which are selling broad breasted turkeys in commercial amounts. Sometimes Cackle will have a special on sexed poults when their suppliers are replacing their brood stock. That only happens every two or three years. It is not normal to be able to get sexed poults from any other hatcheries.
Thank you. That's what I get for assuming. Very interesting they don't sell sexed poults. I wonder why that is.

It is not uncommon for a heritage breed tom to reach 35 lbs, sweetgrass toms are generally 33-36 lbs and most with the exception of smaller varieties are listed at 30-33 lbs. Mature heritage hens will generally be about 14 to 16 lbs. If you want smaller birds look at the Beltsville Small White or Royal Palm, toms are in the mid 20 lb. range.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom