White broad breasted turkeys issue help

ColeTrain425

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
I was given a decent flock of chickens and 3 full grown broad breasted turkeys my toms bottom is a big black ring around his bottom an seems swollen I will add a picture but if you’re sensitive to blood don’t look at it I have them separated from the chickens I just have been spraying bluekote wound spray but seems to not help

Attachments

• 54F94855-EDA5-4404-854F-EC76A67556DC.jpeg
    54F94855-EDA5-4404-854F-EC76A67556DC.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 143
I was given a decent flock of chickens and 3 full grown broad breasted turkeys my toms bottom is a big black ring around his bottom an seems swollen I will add a picture but if you’re sensitive to blood don’t look at it I have them separated from the chickens I just have been spraying bluekote wound spray but seems to not help
There is a chance that he was getting bullied either by the chickens, or, by the other Toms.

Usually my Toms tear up each other’s faces/ snoods when they are picking on each other. Fights here tend to be caused primarily by
- overcrowded coops
- not separating Toms from each other when the hens are “ready”

I have few aggression issues w my turkeys now that those issues have been resolved.

I know you said that you have only Toms and they are with your chickens.... but I don’t have chickens or mixed coops so.... hopefully someone else can throw in as well.

IMO.
There is a higher chance that he has a mite infestation - whether due to the pecking, or as a result of the pecking....
The BluCote will help (some) with infection mitigation.... but.
Have you (very) carefully checked him for mites?
Get a magnifying glass if you need to. They are tiny. Gross. And you need to know what color they are for treatment recommendations should you find them.
Check his backside area....they may be really tough to see there with the BluCote.
Check under his wings, and around his neck. You may need a hand if he’s not very docile, but often (putting on jeans and a heavy long sleeve shirt, grabbing a headlamp for extra light, and) putting him on his back on your lap while you sit on a stool (or whatever) -often- calms them down quickly. You can look at his backside, under his wings, and around the base of his carnucles there. Then set him on the ground between your feet to check the back and base of his neck if you haven’t seen anything yet.

Do you have a dust bath set up for them in the main run, and if so, what have you put into the mix for the dust bath?

Also. Does he have anything else going on?
Eating, drinking ok?
What are you feeding?
How much space does the combined flock have?
Stool quality?

@casportpony

There is a chance that he was getting bullied either by the chickens, or, by the other Toms.

Usually my Toms tear up each other’s faces/ snoods when they are picking on each other. Fights here tend to be caused primarily by
- overcrowded coops
- not separating Toms from each other when the hens are “ready”

I have few aggression issues w my turkeys now that those issues have been resolved.

I know you said that you have only Toms and they are with your chickens.... but I don’t have chickens or mixed coops so.... hopefully someone else can throw in as well.

IMO.
There is a higher chance that he has a mite infestation - whether due to the pecking, or as a result of the pecking....
The BluCote will help (some) with infection mitigation.... but.
Have you (very) carefully checked him for mites?
Get a magnifying glass if you need to. They are tiny. Gross. And you need to know what color they are for treatment recommendations should you find them.
Check his backside area....they may be really tough to see there with the BluCote.
Check under his wings, and around his neck. You may need a hand if he’s not very docile, but often (putting on jeans and a heavy long sleeve shirt, grabbing a headlamp for extra light, and) putting him on his back on your lap while you sit on a stool (or whatever) -often- calms them down quickly. You can look at his backside, under his wings, and around the base of his carnucles there. Then set him on the ground between your feet to check the back and base of his neck if you haven’t seen anything yet.

Do you have a dust bath set up for them in the main run, and if so, what have you put into the mix for the dust bath?

Also. Does he have anything else going on?
Eating, drinking ok?
What are you feeding?
How much space does the combined flock have?
Stool quality?
He is drinking and eating fine just that one area that has gotten large the chickens did get him when the were with the person I got them from however the have been in a separate pen from the chickens

Back
Top Bottom