gimpy leg on old bird

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
I have a barred rock who suddenly pulled up lame today. She hasn't left the coop & when I picked her up & took her out she didn't want to use her right leg. She limped heavily & laid down.

Injury? Illness? Don't know what to do. I don't want to kull her.

What does her leg look like? I have had my share of trouble with chicken legs . . . let me tell you. It has been rough. I went out to the pen the other day and one of my birds had a hurt leg. It looked like it was out of joint or something because it was turned completely backwards. I hate to "get rid" of my birds but I also hate to see them suffer. She must have gotten her leg hung in the fence or something and tried to pull it out snatching her leg out of place. I dont know if this is whats wrong with yours or not. If so, there probably isnt anything that you can do to help her. Also a lot of people here told me that my birds may have a lack of vitamins making them weak. This may be your case as well. Poly-vi-sol is what they told me to get. its vitamin supplement for infants.
Im no chicken expert, im just passing on the advice others have shared with me. Maybe it will help you a little.

fl.gif
You could also ask MissPrissy. She has good advice and is very patient. She has helped me out alot.

you should really ask missprissy or another moderator. they might be able to tell you something that i dont know about. i think the vitamins are a good idea anyway just to keep them healthy. plus mine like it. but if your hen isnt young anymore it maybe just getting hard for her to get around. wish i could help more.

Back
Top Bottom