Ginger is back home.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Suzie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Ginger is one of my Bantam girls and she is extremely affectionate - she has been missing from the coop for weeks and I thought she had been attacked and killed by the buzzards ( as have some of my other Bantam's ) - BUT... this morning she turned up with 6 newly hatched chicks - they were a welcome but sorry sight, they had fought through undergrowth to reach the coop - so after securing her and her brood and giving them food and water we set out to find the nest, nearing the location we heard a plaintive cheep! cheep! a bright yellow chick was grateful to be disentangled from the undergrowth and hastily rushed to its Mum. Having found the nest eventually (it was extremely well hidden) we could hear another cheep! cheep! Five minutes later we found a very wet black chick - it had very recently emerged from its shell and was weak - I cuddled it against my body, took it indoors and dried it out with a hairdryer, took it back to Mum and it gratefully stumbled over to Ginger, she put it underneath her and it is still alive - if it survives it will be our little miracle.

Ginger is so proud of her brood - as we are of her - welcome home!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWW... great that she's home finally!

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wow! How cool is that! So happy for you and Ginger!

4. BlackWatchLady

BlackWatchLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    [​IMG] glad all seem to be fine! I had one of my EE hens disapearing for days at a time, found where she was nesting and brought all inside to a dog kennel...she has 13 eggs under her...[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Awwwww. I just got all teary-eyed from this. *sniff* I'm so glad Ginger and her brood are home!!!

6. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    glad you found the other lost boys/girls. Sounds like a great day at you home. Con grates Way to go Ginger!!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's awesome! [​IMG] :yiipychick [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you have a picture? [​IMG]

8. khrisilu

khrisilu Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Awww, Suzie, that is sooo cool! Hope the little guy makes it. :) Love stories like that.

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks for your messages - well the little one didn't make it but at least it died with Mum - all of the others are doing well - must take some pics of Ginger with her chicks - she looks so pleased with herself!

All of my other chickens are intrigued with Ginger in her compound with her (now 7) babies, they seem to spend a great deal of their time looking at the chicks, or maybe the feed in the compound.....

I am just so happy that Ginger is back with us (extra's included of course - 4 black, 2 yellow, and of course 1 ginger....!)

Suzie
    [​IMG]

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    [​IMG] So glad you had a happy ending!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by