Gingerbread Spice Pancakes?

Trainfullachickens is my oldest son, and you all who said they must not get many treats are right. We have kept them to a minimum. We're still new at this and what we've read said not to feed them too many treats or they will get too fat and not lay as well. So, probably we are "too careful"? Just wondering, for 10 chickens, how much (scraps, scratch, etc.) is too much?

Quote:
I can hear the can of worms creaking open...
wink.png

Some folks won't give their birds anything but a trusted commercial feed. Others free-range their birds and give them as little commercial feed as they can get away with. And, of course, everywhere in between. The answer I see most often is that "treats should make up no more than 10% of your chickens' diet". I'm not sure where that number comes from as I haven't read it in any of my chicken manuals but it sounds reasonable and safe. It's also worth noting that some "treats" are much more nutritious than others and I think that should be a consideration when you're deciding how much to give.

Quote:
I can hear the can of worms creaking open...
wink.png

Some folks won't give their birds anything but a trusted commercial feed. Others free-range their birds and give them as little commercial feed as they can get away with. And, of course, everywhere in between. The answer I see most often is that "treats should make up no more than 10% of your chickens' diet". I'm not sure where that number comes from as I haven't read it in any of my chicken manuals but it sounds reasonable and safe. It's also worth noting that some "treats" are much more nutritious than others and I think that should be a consideration when you're deciding how much to give.

Oh yeah, it's creakin' all right. I am definitely a sucker for those girls. Who knew you could grow so fond of chickens? The funny thing is these "treat neglected" chickens have 3 kids that are always happy to dig up worms, roll over a log or two to find bess bugs, or search out some slugs to give them. So, while they haven't had many people treats - they have definitely enjoyed some delicious chicken snacks delivery style! Thanks for the info - I'll try to use some self control when they look at me and make their cute little noises.
yippiechickie.gif
(the chickens that is!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom