Girl Power! COOP finished!

nurse_turtle

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Foothills of NC
This 38 year old nurse built this coop all by herself and is really proud of it. I still have a couple things to add inside, but the outside is complete and there is a three step roost inside made of old willow branches. The coop is 4'x8' and the run is 22'x15'. Predation is not a problem. Currently there are 9 chickens in there, but all but 4 are roosters. I hope it will be OK thru winter to house them all together and I can re-home the roosters in the spring.
93695_img_1224.jpg

93695_img_1225.jpg

93695_img_1229.jpg

93695_img_1227.jpg

93695_img_1230.jpg

93695_img_1234.jpg

93695_img_1237.jpg

It's beautiful but one quick suggestion. How about a cover (or is there one, it's hard to tell from the pic) for the pen? Hawks could easily target them from above. Especially if they have nowhere to hide.

Great job, LOVE the colors!

I have never seen any hawks around. but I've never offered any chickens for 'em either. I'm considering deer netting or something similar if the need arises. Thanks guys!

We used avery netting and it works great. It's only 10.00 per roll of 3 x 25. We never had any hawks either, but now that we have chickens we have plenty of hawks around!! Just be careful with over mating, your roosters will not let up on your hens and they will loose their saddle feathers. My neighbor has that problem, his poor hens look life they are suffering. I have 2 coops because i have 3 roosters. I only keep 2 together because they grew up together and they get along. I went out and purchased more hens just so they don't overmate.

Karen

Your coop is beautiful!! Nice job!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom