Girls don’t like pellets?

candilea80

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
I switched to layer feed this week and bought pellets from a local mill. The girls were used to crumble, and they either don’t understand or seem to just not be eating the pellets. They’ll eventually eat it right? Are they being snooty for a bit or should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!

Chickens prefer crumble over pellets. You can try crushing it up a little to make the size more appealing, or even wetting a small bowl if the formulation is a lot different (different brand) than the crumble.

Otherwise, time and patience - make the new feed the SOLE feed option (no treats) and they will eventually eat it.

Mine prefer crumble over pellets. I slowly switched to pellets but the flock refused to eat the pellets and were losing weight so I switched back to crumble. All gained their weight back and they are healthy.

I fed my pellets wet. One bag later they say thank you for buying crumbles. I have three hold outs that might get pretty skinny. These want wet feed. They refuse to eat the crumbles now. Free range forage and their share of a cup of scratch per day. I’m due to lock them in a week from now. They’ll learn one way or other.

I switched to layer feed this week and bought pellets from a local mill. The girls were used to crumble, and they either don’t understand or seem to just not be eating the pellets. They’ll eventually eat it right? Are they being snooty for a bit or should I be concerned? Thanks in advance!
I'm in the same predicament. Do you offer 24/7? I switched because I was going a bag of crumble every 2 weeks for 18 chickens.

I'm in the same predicament. Do you offer 24/7? I switched because I was going a bag of crumble every 2 weeks for 18 chickens.
Yes it’s available to them 24/7 inside the coop and in the run. They don’t get a ton of treats but they do get almost daily yard time outside the run for bugs and such. I started the pellets on Friday, I’m guessing this 50 lb bag will last 4-6 weeks with 6 hens? Unsure til we see how they eat but going well. And boy do they like to eat!

Back
Top Bottom