Girls Not Eating ? Is that Normal ?

BabyGirls

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Concord, NC
HI As I am newer to this site and to having my Girls, I was wondering if you could share with me their eating habits. I alternate between Layer and Scratch. They love Scracth way more. In the last 3-4 weeks they have really slowed down eating and it seems not really at all! I am worried about them and wondered if it was just the heat. We live in NC and it has been around 75-90 degrees.

I give them a treat every evening when I let them out of Sunflower seeds and they'll pick for a little bit then seem to get bored and go on searching for bugs when they used to love the seeds. Just worried about them.

ALSO on a side note have any of you put fans in the coop to move air around during the hotter months?

Thanks in advance!

Just an idea, but maybe it's somewhat of a 'holding out' or protest to get the scratch. Scratch is just a treat, not meant to be used instead of their feed because it doesn't have all that they need. It kind of sounds like they've gotten used to the 'good stuff' and are waiting for you to offer it again. Just hazarding a guess here, I'm sure someone will be along with a much better idea soon
gig.gif

Hi there, welcome to BYC.
If you can do away with the scratch during the warmer months if ya can.Jsto said it right it's only a treat kinda thing. The corn will make your birds hot, so not good for the summer time, but winter it's good on cold days. Are those black oil sunflowers seeds you're giving them? Now those are good for your chickens in moderation.
smile.png

I have several fans going in my coops to move the air and all the freaking skeeters. I use box fans attached to wire hanging from the ceiling. During the day I have some very shallow wading pools for them & run some water on the ground.
Miriam

Back
Top Bottom