Girls still not laying!

My birds were hatched May 1-ish, and I only have 1 laying. She's been laying about 12 days now, and I swear every day the others will start any day. I think if the first one hadn't started to lay I'd be certifiably insane by now. The day before she started laying I was checking the nestbox 5 times a day... and I work FULL TIME (not at home, either).

My 2nd barred rock has been squatting for about a week now, and though my GLW haven't squatted, they are getting redder every day. I think they're going to take longer than the Barred rock.

In summary, today is week 24:
Barred rock #1 started getting bright red at 20 weeks, squatting at 21 weeks and laying at 22 weeks.
Barred rock #2 started squatting at 23 weeks and not laying yet.
GLW no action at all, but combs and wattles getting redder .

BE PATIENT!

My April 19th girls have yet to start laying, they are red in the face, squat, noisy in the morning.... oh well, I figure they will eventually. The good news is they have stopped using the nesting box as a poo box, so maybe they are getting close (however, it was easier cleaning out the poo when it was all in the nesting box!
barnie.gif
I just enjoy checking every day and watching them watch me hunting.... it's like they are giggling in the corner..... oh look.... she see's the golf ball.... wait...... there she goes! Ha!
lau.gif
fooled her again!

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on my girls that were hatched the last week of April. They've had bright red combs and wattles for over a month, but nothing. -sigh-

Well today is the day!!
My Ameracaunna laid her fist egg!!!!
ya.gif

Went to the coop to let the girls out and she was in the nest box. Went back out to check - just to see, not getting my hopes up and behold the little green egg.
clap.gif

Our first time with chickens and all.. so the Amer does not have a comb or wattles, so I was starting to think she was a later bloomer, but I guess that is just the style of the breed.

So I have 4 more girls - hopefully watching and learning the new routine. Lay an egg, stay out of the soup:eek:

56311_first_egg_2.jpg

the egg

'Spec' 25 weeks old yesterday
56311_spec_10-15-10.jpg

I have 26 week old huge, glossy, light pink faced Brahmas which I am going to have to wait until next Spring for eggs from.

I am hoping that the single cross Brahma pullet may get her skates on before winter comes, but it seems doubtful.....

Oh well, plenty of eggs next year then!

Congratulations to you guys who have got the eggs and commiserations to those who will be waiting with me
lol.png

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom