Girls Want To Roost In Nesting Box

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
5 of my 6 GC pullets ( 12 weeks old) insist on roosting in one of their nesting boxes. Both roosts are higher than the nesting boxes, but they don't seem to get it........ sooo, I've blocked off the nesting boxes until they're ready to lay. Now I know where the old adage "don't poop in your nest" comes from!

lol.png
Mine were the same way! Even then I still had some that insisted on sleeping in them. So I stapled an old sheet at the top, and after they were done laying but before bed time I would pull the sheet over the boxes. It took a while but pretty soon I took the sheet down and they didn't even notice. I will admit though there was a few times I forgot to lift the sheet and I would go to look for eggs and I swear they were standing there in a line with their legs crossed
lau.gif

Quote:
The old sheet is a novel approach! I might have to give it a try if the ol' girls don't catch on!
D.gif

Op here......

UPDATE!!!!!! These girls catch on quick! Closed them up tonight & 3 0f the 6 were already on the roost since they didn't have a nest box to poop in.......
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom