Give Me Some Eggs!! Daggum It!!!

CoyoteMagic

RIP ?-2014
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
only the shadow knows.....
I've got 3 Sebright pullets and 1 bantam cochin pullet that I picked up Easter weekend.(working on week 23) When do these little buggers start laying??!! I saw Lil' Dude doing his roosterly duties earlier today so I know they've got to be ready.

barnie.gif

One of my reading said that

chillies and diced onion was an old wives' remedy to encourage laying.

A person in the book tried adding those to the moist pellets in the mornings and within a week she had her first egg.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
wink.png

HA! I was thinking the SAME THING this morning.
lol.png
I have a Sebright and a bantam Cochin who are over 6 months old now and neither one has laid their first egg.
fl.gif
I have a Sultan who is the same age (all had the same hatch date 2/23) and she has been laying for about 2 weeks now. I get an egg every other day or so from her. Good girl.
love.gif
The other 2 are just lazy bums!
rant.gif

Seems like they should be laying by now. Have you looked really hard in all the hiding spots??
big_smile.png

Should be laying soon no matter. I have one sebright,,,beautiful birds.
Good Luck:cool:

I felt the same way, when the heck are they gonna lay, the day finally came about three weeks ago and now I'm overrun with pullet eggs. yum yum
droolin.gif
! You should start getting eggs in about 6 months
lau.gif
. Only kidding they should start any day now...
pop.gif

heh, yea it can take forever it seems. We did the same thing, bought 4 chicks on Easter for our 5yr old little girl. That turned out to be a total crap shoot, 4 roosters....what ya gonna do? While we were learning about those guys I was steadily building a coop out of old wood I had around (I am a carpenter) and we went out and bought some older girls we knew and were guaranteed they were girls. They weren't much older than our Easter duds but we didn't get any eggs until Aug. 21 and then from only 1, our leghorn. She has steadily produced eggs for us only missing 2 days so far (guess she didn't care for us getting rid of the last 2 roosters) but the rest of them are a bunch of lazy blood-cots. Picked up 4 new recruits yesterday but they are 14-16 weeks so looks like it will be an egg a day for a bit longer now.

Have you tried motivational speaking, it seemed to work for us after about the 3rd time. If that dont work start pinning up your favorite chicken recipes inside the coop maybe they will get the picture LOL. you should start getting eggs anytime really, $$@**&!## chickens!!
he.gif

Quote:
I haven't tried that on these little ones. With my standards I stood in front of the brooder with a stock pot and an egg. Told them they had a choice.

Sebrights aren't big enough to be worth plucking. Might have to show them a picture of the 5ft black snake to motivate them

even better using props good idea. motivational non speaking, I should have tried that instead of pacing back and forth in front of the run doing my Gen Patton speech. everyone around prolly thought I had finnally totaly lost it.

Realize that the days are getting shorter now, so I wouldnt expect them to lay as quickly as if they were this same age in April.

Are they in a closed coop? If not, they could have already started. Are their little combs really red?

Back
Top Bottom