Give me the dirt on turkeys

We wouldn't mind having some for Thanksgiving. Around 20ish pounds I'd say. Not terribly big but not tiny either. But also yard ornaments too.

Thanks, I'll got check out that too.
smile.png

Quote:
Last year we had blue slates, They were the same size as a Red Bourbon, the taste was nearly the same, But they tended to be more juicy when we cut into them after cooking.

The blue slated tended to fly high then then the red's but other wise they were the same.

Never had Chocolates.

This year we have 15 Spanish Blacks and two Bourbon Reds because we were late in ordering, and took a Hatchers choice.

Tom

We never got around to getting any to raise and have nearly sold out of poultry altogether. However I can't seem to go without chickens so I have a new pen and run in the planning which will be for an assortment for laying. I want a rainbow of color in the birds and a rainbow of egg colors. So I may have to order chicks to get a couple of several to have them. Next year I'd like to try a few turkeys. I'm really sold on Bourbon Reds.

Ok I have a question, I live in the city and yes I am a chicken outlaw. I have no roos and my neighbors can't see them because I have a privacy fence. I am sure they no I have them but so far no one cares. Ok my question is what would be the best kind of turkeys that i could get for a "city" environment. I don't want them to fly over the fence and walk around on the neighbors car. LOL!
It would be great to get something that we could eat at thanksgiving. I have read sooooo many things on here about this one tastes the best or that one taste the best that now i don't even no. Anyway any suggestions would really be great. thanks!!!

Quote:
A broad breasted would be for you in town or a heritage bird that has had its wings pinioned, Turkeys are really not a city bird, but anything is possiable. I would suggest a covered run that they can not get out of, but they are noiser then a chicken is and your neighbors would know for sure you had them unless they are not outside much.

I agree with Harp that a Broad Breasted White turkey would be good because they can be butchered in 5 months, and they are sluggish and rarely fly.

A heritage turkey will easily fly away. If you trim one wing's flight feathers, they won't be able to fly over a 4.5 foot fence or higher, but you have to re-trim them every 4 weeks.

There is a lot of talk about depth and width. How high does a sunporch or the roof of the house need to be? Is 3' high enough?
Lynne

I have soooooo enjoyed reading this thread! I had four turkeys a few years ago and LOVED them, they were so much smarter and funnier and friendlier than the chickens
love.gif
I had two BBW and two Spanish blacks and yes, the bbw's wernt the prettiest birds in the world but soooo funny lol and the tast was about a million times better than store bought so I cant imagine what a heritage bird would taste like
droolin.gif

But having decided to go with some stealth chickens - am in the city limits - I am now toying wiht the idea of seeing if a few midget whites might not be sneak-able birds. I found my turkeys much quieter than the chickens but then, they were only 7 months old when processed and were all hens so are heritage birds more noisy than the bb's?

I am planning to get some, ooooooooo Blast! What do you call em? You know, the stock fence panels made of heavy duty wire aaaaaaaaaaargh hate forgetting the name lol ANYWAY, I was going to use one for the floor and take two more, bend into a U shape and wire them onto the floor one, like a tunnel. Two or three sections of wire tunnel should give lots of room and be predator proof
fl.gif
and discreet
wink.png
and will stop the problem of flying. The long term goal is a few acres in the country but for now, stealth poultry is the name of the game.

Oh, and glad to see someone else cuts up turkeys lol We love turkey meat but a 30 pound turkey is just too much to roast at once so I cut my birds into two breast roasts, two thighs for roasting, wings and legs for stock and turkey noodle soup, the carcass for stock and giblets and neck for ME
ya.gif
looooooove turkey giblets
droolin.gif

That way we had many many meals off of one bird without getting fed up with turkey.

And yes, its so easy to get attached to your turkeys. I found it easier to dispatch my first turkeys simply because they were the broad breasted kind and had reached a weight level that was hard on them, they started to waddle and look fed up with life instead of bouncing around the place having fun. Heritage breeds will be even harder because they never get too heavy for their bones.

Now to see if I can bring hubby on board with the bird plan
gig.gif

My BR heritage turkeys can be quite noisy -- both babies at about 6 weeks up to adults. Much of the time they are quiet, but when they can't find each other, for example, they CHEEP CHEEP really loud!!
hide.gif

I think BBW are quieter (too fat, too busy eating, legs hurt, etc).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom