Give me the dirt on turkeys

A few quick questions:
1. Can you keep a group/pair of toms only if they were raised together? Will they still fight if there aren't any hens around?
2. If I clip a heritage turkey's wings will it still be able to fly over a 5 ft fence?
3. And could I feed adult turkeys the same thing I feed my chickens (starter/grower chick feed with oyster grit and free range)?

A few quick questions:
1. Can you keep a group/pair of toms only if they were raised together? Will they still fight if there aren't any hens around?
2. If I clip a heritage turkey's wings will it still be able to fly over a 5 ft fence?
3. And could I feed adult turkeys the same thing I feed my chickens (starter/grower chick feed with oyster grit and free range)?
#1 Yes I have 4 Toms getting along just fine.
#2 Clip just one wing and they will not be able to fly/
#3 If you are starting with babies than feed turkey starter. But later you can feed what you feed the hens and they can be free ranged. best wishes

Thanks are your toms with turkey hens and if I let toms free range with my chickens will they try to mate the chickens during breeding season? And will the toms fight eachother in the breeding season (which is spring right?)

Well my young toms are with one turkey hen but not breeding time for them yet. They breed when one year old so I am told. Not sure if they will fight if with a turkey hen?
If raised with chickens they should all get along fine.

Zaxby's2 wrote: if I let toms free range with my chickens will they try to mate the chickens during breeding season? And will the toms fight eachother in the breeding season (which is spring right?)

They might try to a. breed a hen b. stomp a hen. However, if they aren't in all in the same run the chances of this happening are pretty low. Yes, the toms will work out their pecking order during the Spring with an `echo' of same behavior in the fall. If there isn't a hen `presenting' directly in front of them - the sparring will be limited (some individual toms will be more/less aggressive than others).

Last question (i hope anyway), if I wanted to keep a hen with two to three toms would the dominant tom be the only one mating her, or would all of them be mating her and stress her out?

One tom and three hens will spare all involved (if there are three toms, it is best to having breeding pen for tom/hen - out of sight of other toms). A hen, in season, with three toms, will usually result in one, or two, bowling the third off the hen (repeatedly).

Only had this happen once, here (two toms) and was quickly broken up. Breeding is now a `regulated' affair.

Reminded me of that old Steven Stills song `Change partners' performed in a minor chord :rolleyes:

LOL
I bought 5 turkey babies hoping for at least one female and got 5 Toms! Soon 3 of those Toms will be Thanks Giving supper! LOL My avatar is Blue Bell my hen turkey. She's got her friend on her back. Sadly both those sweet babies got killed by our dogs. I was so up set! The turkey killers have found a non turkey, chicken home.

Back
Top Bottom