Give peas a chance!

My chickens wouldn’t peck at carrots I shredded them and they loved them. Same with cabbage. In fact coleslaw mix is a fan favorite. Mine don’t like eggs that are scrambled. But yolk out of a hard boiled egg they like. Pea’s? Nope they’re a no go. They love beets all parts but they can look like a bloody mess afterwards.

They love beets all parts but they can look like a bloody mess afterwards.
When my 2 younger sisters and I were little, we'd walk a mile to score a refrigerator box. Our house in the 'burbs was on a small hill and when we'd get bored playing house or somesuch, we'd roll down the hill inside the box. One hot summer afternoon, we'd been playing in a box that we'd walked half a mile to score and were very proud of our acquisition. We'd swiped 4 or 5 beets out of Mom's garden and had realized that they don't taste the same as pickled beets, so the half-eaten veggies were lying, discarded, inside the box. My sisters, probably about 4 and 6 (I was maybe 9), decided to roll down the yard in the box together. I was standing by watching; about halfway down the hill, my sisters were screaming and crying as they crashed painfully against each other in the box. Mom had the front windows open, heard the screams and came running. My sisters had clambered out of the box and were standing in front of me, both crying, with beet juice from head to toe and looking like they'd been clubbed with a stick. Mom whirled around on me, grabbed me by the arm and said, "What did you do?!" Only some fast talking backed up by my sisters spared me the whipping of a lifetime. :lau

Last edited:
When my 2 younger sisters and I were little, we'd walk a mile to score a refrigerator box. Our house in the 'burbs was on a small hill and when we'd get bored playing house or somesuch, we'd roll down the hill inside it. One hot summer afternoon, we'd been playing in a box that we'd walked half a mile to score and were very proud of our acquisition. We'd swiped 4 or 5 beets out of Mom's garden and had realized that they don't taste the same as pickled beets, so the half-eaten veggies were lying, discarded, inside the box. My sisters, probably about 4 and 6 (I was maybe 9), decided to roll down the yard in the box together. I was standing by watching; about halfway down the hill, my sisters were screaming and crying as they crashed painfully against each other in the box. Mom had the front windows open, heard the screams and came running. My sisters had clambered out of the box and were standing in front of me, both crying, with beet juice from head to toe and looking like they'd been clubbed with a stick. Mom whirled around on me, grabbed me by the arm and said, "What did you do?!" Only some fast talking backed up by my sisters spared me the whipping of a lifetime. :lau
:lau

Thanks for the belly laugh ... Ack! I really don't want to call you granny!!! lol As for shredded cabbage, I wish I could remember that my phone has a camera sometimes, because in September during a bit of a soiree with some neighbours, the Ministry of War and Finance™ left a bowl of Coleslaw out on the picnic table without realizing their were predators about. By the time she returned with the potato salad all four chickens were perched in a circle around the rim of the large crystal bowl the slaw was in, feasting away! Did I mention they hate cabbage?

Back
Top Bottom