Give up free-ranging?

No, a fox can jump a 10 ft. fence. I once saw a video of a chicken house with a 10 ft. fence, barbed wire at the top and a strand of electrified wire out from the bottom. After several attempts, the fox was able to jump to the top of the fence, avoiding the electric and get into the run.

But if the fox jumps the 3' fence, the chickens can fly to the roof or up in a tree or just outrun the fox long enough to reach safety.

Sure they can go over a 10' fence. BUT, they will not go over the electrified poultry net. A fox, like any other kind of animal, always checks things out with their nose. And that is a very bad thing with the poultry net and it's charge of over 7000Vs. Once they get a taste of that, they don't even approach the fence anymore. My fence has been up close to 4yrs now. I've got fox, coon, dogs, just about everything short of a bear running through here, and I have not lost a bird. The birds are out everyday, with no problem. I've seen the fox, just standing out there looking at the chickens. But he won't come any closer than 20' to that fence, (And if I can get to my rifle in time, that will be the last thing he looks at)

I hope I can find the video. It was electrified. You could tell when it was shocked yet it persisted.
It was a British site that was experimenting with poultry protection options.

Last edited:
I hope I can find the video. It was electrified. You could tell when it was shocked yet it persisted.
It was a British site that was experimenting with poultry protection options.

Well, I don't know what to tell ya. All I can do, is tell you what I have experienced. I live on the edge of a branch of the Chesapeak bay, surrounded with woods. I have chicken predators of all kinds. This fence, going on 4yrs, has put an end to lost chickens for me. You would think a fox would just jump over, but it hasn't happened here. They have a deep fear and respect for that fence. As far as the video you saw, you are talking about a non-electric fence, topped with barbed wire, with a single strand of hotwire running around the bottom perimeter of the fence. I can see a fox hopping over a single strand. Or maybe the hotwire for that fence didn't have enough voltage to deter the fox. I've seen dogs get into my fence, and when they do, they can't get far enough away, fast enough, from the fence. They won't even approach the fence again.
I believe you about the video. But this fence I have, just flat out works for me.

I completely agree with you that electric fence works quite well for foxes, coyotes, dogs and maybe even raccoons and opossums.

All we can do is the best we can. A determined predator can encroach our best defenses.

Much depends on how hungry they are. Bald eagles normally eat only fish, but if they can't find any and are sufficiently hungry, they'll take a chicken.

A person wouldn't normally eat something like a cricket but if hungry enough - well.

A predator will go for their natural prey if available. However they won't starve to death if they can avoid it.

I completely agree with you that electric fence works quite well for foxes, coyotes, dogs and maybe even raccoons and opossums.

All we can do is the best we can. A determined predator can encroach our best defenses.

Much depends on how hungry they are. Bald eagles normally eat only fish, but if they can't find any and are sufficiently hungry, they'll take a chicken.

A person wouldn't normally eat something like a cricket but if hungry enough - well.

A predator will go for their natural prey if available. However they won't starve to death if they can avoid it.
Yeah, we have eagles out there behind us too. I have read where they can be a problem. I guess they are well fed back there, no problems from them. (Knocking on a big block of wood right now)

Anyone have some advice about what to do with my sole surviving guinea? I finally got him back in the coop/run. I was thinking I wouldn't get any more guineas in the next flock so that if we keep them in a run more I won't have to worry about them going crazy, since they really are a free range bird. But what do I do with him? He needs a buddy or something and I won't be getting the new chicks/rooster until the spring. Should I just keep him in the coop til we adjust our set up? Just get another guinea now so he isn't alone? And then do I let them free range together??? help!

Anyone have some advice about what to do with my sole surviving guinea? I finally got him back in the coop/run. I was thinking I wouldn't get any more guineas in the next flock so that if we keep them in a run more I won't have to worry about them going crazy, since they really are a free range bird. But what do I do with him? He needs a buddy or something and I won't be getting the new chicks/rooster until the spring. Should I just keep him in the coop til we adjust our set up? Just get another guinea now so he isn't alone? And then do I let them free range together??? help!
If you get another guinea and let them free range together, you will lose one or both birds. Whatever ate your previous birds will keep coming back as long as there is food available. Unless, of course, you try the electric poultry netting, but if your guineas are like my dad's were, they'll just fly right over the top of it. Do you know anyone with guineas that would be able to take yours so he has a flock to hang out with?

A chicken just showed up out of nowhere!! Woo hoo! Trying decide now if I should still get a guinea for the guinea. I decided they will just have to live w limited/supervised free ranging.

A chicken just showed up out of nowhere!! Woo hoo! Trying decide now if I should still get a guinea for the guinea. I decided they will just have to live w limited/supervised free ranging.
Good! Maybe there are more out there. I think you made a good decision on limited/supervised free ranging. Once your fox realizes that he can't get at the birds, he may get discouraged and move on. My coyotes haven't yet, but I'm hoping. (My birds have been confined to coop and run for a couple of months, and DH saw coyote tracks around the coop the other day...
sad.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom