given 200# rice - ok to feed to chickens

I would think the only one's that eat rice are oriental chickens. Most Southern chickens are meat and potato eaters.
smile.png

Quote:
LOL! Well, truth is, there used to be a ton of rice grown west of Houston. But as that area has grown up there isn't as much. And those rice fields were great places to hunt ducks.

I haven't read the responses, but here is mine:

White rice would be a treat. I read about how some chickens that were made to live only on white rice died, but when they made them live only on brown rice they survived.

I give mine leftover rice all the time but I consider it a treat. Very nice treat!!!!!!

Edited to add: I have now read the responses and it is true they will be able to eat the rice uncooked safely. I feed a few different whole uncooked grains and there is no problem as long as they have grit.

Last edited:
Quote:
Could be because the process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom